Today`s cycle....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
was a bit epic - was lovely when I started, proper shorts and sleeveless top weather and I even put suncream on.

Headed out over the hills enjoying the heat when I spied it - the biggest darkest cloud I have ever seen.

Have you ever our-run a thunderstorm? No, neither have I

And as I was miles from anywhere, there was no place to hide. No idea if a carbon bike is any safer in a thunderstorm but I wasn`t about to risk it. I propped the bike up against a wall, jumped over the other side much to the surprise of the sheep and made myself as small as possible. I then got soaked as the thunder crashed above - I did see some flashes of lightning but no evidence of any near me, not that I would know unless it hit me or the bike.

Just glad I wasn`t out on my Cannondale!

Slick

Guru
I know there is definitely a risk, as my friend was killed during such a storm whilst at work over 20 years ago.

That said, I have been caught out on the bike, no way could I out run it, but I just stayed out and loved it.

Slick

Guru
Did you stay on your bike tho? Big metally things attract lightning lol. Even tho I was on a carbon bike, I didnt want to risk it!
I did. Lots of more interesting things around a city attracting any lightning. My friend was just off shore on a big metal salmon cage.

Slick

Guru
Couldn't help but think of this thread when out today. We left in sweltering heat and bright sunshine but halfway when we stopped for lunch, someone pointed out the doom clouds rolling down from Ben Lomond. Sure enough, the rumbles of thunder started followed closely by flashes of lightning. I did think about seeking shelter, but I reckoned it would clear when we got clear of the water, which it did.

The funny thing is, it wouldn't even have crossed my mind as a problem if it wasn't for this thread.^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
was a bit epic - was lovely when I started, proper shorts and sleeveless top weather and I even put suncream on.

Headed out over the hills enjoying the heat when I spied it - the biggest darkest cloud I have ever seen.

Have you ever our-run a thunderstorm? No, neither have I

And as I was miles from anywhere, there was no place to hide. No idea if a carbon bike is any safer in a thunderstorm but I wasn`t about to risk it. I propped the bike up against a wall, jumped over the other side much to the surprise of the sheep and made myself as small as possible. I then got soaked as the thunder crashed above - I did see some flashes of lightning but no evidence of any near me, not that I would know unless it hit me or the bike.

Just glad I wasn`t out on my Cannondale!
Mine wasn' a thunderstorm but I remember headed out west from P'boro and was watching the looming heavy black clouds maybe 20 miles away...then I guessed 10 miles away and then thought...nah, I'm headed back pronto.
It caught me up and the heavens opened. I got the biggest soaking of my life, cars were slowing and almost stopping, I just hammered on grinning all over my soaked face, it was insane. I can' imagine what the drivers thought.
A slight heads up in those situations...a few days later I went to the shed and noticed a rusty stain on the floor under my bike. Water was dripping out the chainstay holes. I upturned the bike to see a load of water come out my downtube , obviously it had washed in there under the saddle.
Even the cassette held a load of water...i have some photos where I laid my bike down , cassette facing down and water pooled out.

Top Bottom