today's music reccommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Hi all,
I have a free allbum (well ep actually) to reccommend to you all, it can be downloaded from Supertennis.
They're a London based three piece, playing melodic emo. I say emo in the traditional sense, as in post-hardcore as opposed to My Chemical Romance. Anyway, it's a nice five tracks, presented to you in 192kps (the same as the radiohead album), and it's totally free, and even comes with artwork to make it look all pretty on your ipod.. The fact that the drummer's one of my best friends is just a bonus.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
SamNichols said:

you said a bad word ;)

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Flying_Monkey said:
you said a bad word ;)

Emo, aka 'emotional hardcore' has been around since the mid 80s, it was originally led as a movement by Ian Mackaye, then of Embrace and Rites of Spring, but later of Fugazi and the ceo of Dischord Records. It takes the riffs of post-hardcore and hardcore and gives them a more melodic and emotional feel.
It is only recently that it has become synonymous with things like Panic! At the Disco and My Chemical Romance, who are in fact, pop music at their worst.
In fact, emo currently in the US means a very different thing in relation to alternative music over there it is more Modest Mouse and Death Cab.
Anyway, it is a good ep, very much young, home grown talent and is very diy.

U

User169

SamNichols said:
Emo, aka 'emotional hardcore' has been around since the mid 80s, it was originally led as a movement by Ian Mackaye, then of Embrace and Rites of Spring, but later of Fugazi and the ceo of Dischord Records. It takes the riffs of post-hardcore and hardcore and gives them a more melodic and emotional feel.

Not "more emotional" than that which preceded it surely? Maybe a little more focussed on specific emotions perhaps and certainly a great deal more histrionic.

My experimentation with emo began and ended with Rival Schools - what a load of cack. No doubt though, you'll tell me that they weren't emo at all:wacko:.

Melvil

Can someone now tell me the difference between a Goth and an Emo as they seem to blurring into each other nowadays...there's a big crowd of them who hang around MOMA in Merchant City, Glasgow, and I don't want to call them Goths in case they're really Emo people and they'll get all upset (and therefore happy), see?

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Rival Schools is good, I actually enjoyed it, although it's not in the emo school per se. Walter Schrieffel's previous bands quicksand and gorilla biscuits are more in that genre. Rival schools is more alt-rock, although it's more alt than rock. his later band Walking Concert were nicht so gut though.
Anyway, just download this ep and see if you like it, they're not a signed band, and all you have to do is type an email address in the box. No harm done, and in my mind, a good ep and well worth the nothing it costs you. If you don't like it, then feel free to tell me that I'm a twat.

The difference between a goth and an emo is the thickness of the eyeliner and the length of the hair.

U

User169

Had a quick listen to Supertennis last night; thought it was pretty good actually.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Today's music recommendation is the delightful music of Jenny Owen Youngs. She's a New Jersey based singer-songwriter with a great sense of humour and a nice bluesy voice. To demonstrate her weird sense of humour, watch this video, her recent cover of Nelly's hot in herre. The album unfortunately isn't free, but it's fairly cheap and can be downloaded via i-tunes if you're that way inclined. Either way, the album Batten Your Hatches is going to be easier to get hold of than it used to be (and the cover art has changed from my version).

melodic emo. I say emo in the traditional sense, as in post-hardcore as opposed to My Chemical Romance. It takes the riffs of post-hardcore and hardcore and gives them a more melodic and emotional feel. etc etc.

Sam, I recognise the words but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Slightly OT and you probably will reply saying you've been listening to her for the last 15 years, so I'll thank you for that in advance - but I came across Imogen Heap and I'm absolutely captivated. As you get older, it gets increasingly harder to get enthusiastic about 'new' acts etc but it's all the more exciting when it happens.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pSIbfzK2spg

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

I'm keen on Imogen Heap, I have it around somewhere: it's by no means a whole last 15 years thing, I guess I bought the album a couple of years ago when she was featured on the OC (which is a great place to find music and have a laugh by the way. I love the OC).
Anyway, a great album, especially for the song: 'hide and seek' which is a beautiful acapella vocoder affair. Very haunting.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
last night i went to see a band called the courteeners. knew now't about them but mate had a spare ticket and for a tenner i thought it was worth a pop.

they blew me away. completely. their single is on itunes and now on my ipod. the most bizarre experience was that i didn't feel like i wasn't 22 anymore. i'd recommend them as a live act in a decent venue (the ritz, manchester), best see them before they get too popular and start gigging in bigger venues.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Oh my, they're what happens if Libertines had a brain baby with The Arctic Monkeys. In a good way, as I think that both the Libertines and The Arctic Monkeys are very good bands. Nice find.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
SamNichols said:
Oh my, they're what happens if Libertines had a brain baby with The Arctic Monkeys. In a good way, as I think that both the Libertines and The Arctic Monkeys are very good bands. Nice find.

being just the right side of 40, my comparisons are (based on the gig) the chesterfields, and the wedding present (both on itunes).

Top Bottom