todays questions are

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my questions today are the following .

1. are latex tubes worth using ? in all my years of cycling never heard of them before apart from when my father retells his bike racing stories . most rides are commutes and normally use puncture protected tyres , but 2 punctures in 2 weeks and no sign of what caused either , made me ask at lbs , they suggested latex tubes
  2. first ride on fixed bike today and every time i stood on the pedals the wheel moved over to catch on the frame , using a track frame with rearward facing drop outs and a nutted rather than a quick release axle , do i need to use a pr of axle pullers to stop this happening , its ok when i flip wheel over for freewheel .

festival

Über Member
I used latex tubes years ago when i got them for nothing and enjoyed a perceived improvement of ride quality. For general riding its not something you need to consider. I believe they leak air quicker than standard tubes, which means you have to pump them up a little more often. They can be be a bit more forgiving when a sharp object is trying to penetrate, but I would suggest you can do a lot better by buying better tyres and and many other things that will be more helpful.
As for the wheel pulling over, assuming everything was tight and correctly positioned, something must be faulty, you shouldn't need any device if everything is in good order. Track racers probably put the wheel under more stress than you without axle pullers, check the drop outs, axle, nuts, washers, chain line might be the problem.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
festival on closer thought re axle tugs , i go along with the suggestion of nuts being an issue , so will try and find some nuts with built in serated washers in my tool box and will advise from there

Top Bottom