Toe Clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if I'm wrong.

Howsomever; I've just gone from a hybrid that seemed to weigh similar to the Forth bridge to a (cheap) road bike, to see if I can cope with drop bars and charging through town head first.
The problem I'm having at the moment is not with the bars, although they take some getting used to, it's with the toe straps. They are great for putting power down but only after I've wibbled and wobbled trying to get my damned second foot in, holding up traffic and at one point nearly going over into the path of the traffic coming up from behind me.
I'm trying to flip the peddle up the right way with my toe and slide it in in one fluid action. And failing leading to either, having to peddle with my foot on the clip in order to get up enough momentum so I don't fall over or slowing until I'm almost track standing and looking down, carefully placing my foot in.

What am I doing wrong and why on earth is it so hard to get going when the lights change without looking like a prize lemon first?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i'm the same as you, can't use them for CRAP! Use either flats or cheap clip ins.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What shoes are you wearing? I find it pretty much impossible in trainers, with all the ridges...flat soles, no probs. Having said which, I think it's just a knack you acquire - whatever your soles you'll find if you persevere that pretty soon it'll be second nature. Then you can get some SPDs and learn what looking like a prize lemon really looks like.

Davidc

Guru
I far prefer toe clips to clip in type pedals (which I hate).

It's like many other things - practice.

Prop yourself up against a wall, and just do it a hundred times. (I'm told the same applies to clip-ins if you have problems with them!)

The pedals may not be helping. On a cheap bike you may get cheap pedals. Buy a good pair of quills.

Don't even think about wearing trainers. Either a pair of ordinary shoes or a pair of cycling shoes with a plain sole.

It takes practice to get used to where the pedals come to a rest when empty and then it's a quick flick with the toe on the back of the pedal to bring them horizontal and pop the foot in all in one movement.

trouble is that by the time you have mastered that you will want some clipless pedals anyway.

OP
OP
A
I rather feared practice would be the best solution. My shoes (indoor football shoes) aren't especially ridged but they are quite grippy, at least they're better than the Doc Marten's I used to wear to commute in. I might look at changing the pedals in the future as I rather spent up buying the bike and yeah, cheap bike = cheap pedals. I fear my weekend will be spent propped up in the corridor flipping pedals up and cursing gently under my breath.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

swee said:
- whatever your soles you'll find if you persevere that pretty soon it'll be second nature. Then you can get some SPDs and learn what looking like a prize lemon really looks like.

Damn right.

For detail.. "Then you can get some ONE-SIDE SPD, ONE SIDE PLATFORM and learn what looking like a prize lemon really looks like."

Really, toe clips are second nature to me, one foot still in the clip, the other can "flip and slip-in" on its upstroke, smooth as anything. Reason = I'm 35 and bought my first toeclips at 14.

Currently clipless, my left foot flaps about like a duck that has landed on hot coals whilst I try to flip the pedal and engage the cleat, I'm sticking with it because I know it will come and I'm sure I felt the same about clips and straps one time.

ASC1951

Guru
Pedal flipping does come with practice, AJ.

If you find you still haven't quite got the knack by the time you come to upgrade the pedals and shoes, you could go for double-sided mtb SPD pedals. I used them on my roadbike for a couple of years and (having been through that stage) they really are idiot-proof - just stamp down in the rough direction of the pedal and away you go. Widely available secondhand, if new are a wallet-burster.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Like ST I mastered toe clips in my youth. I changed to double sided SPD pedals (Shimano M520 - & cheapo Lidl shoes) a year ago - but only on my "best" bike. Much easier. Still have clips on my hack bike so I can jump on and nip to shops without changing shoes, so I stay in practice on both.

I'd strongly recommend double-sided SPD like the M520. If you don't get on with them you can sell on Ebay for maybe 75% of new price. If you like them (as most people do) & you do buy a better road bike you can swop the pedals.

No shame in putting an MTB pedal on a road bike IMHO

Alf

Guru
I would add a comment about shoes that might be of interest. Stiff-soled cycling shoes make a huge difference to the efficiency of cycling and in my view make the whole experience much more of a pleasure. There are not many cycling shoes that are made for clips these days but to avoid adding to your problems getting into the clips, it would probably be advisable to steer clear of mtb shoes with a lot of chunky grips on the sole - they are likely to get in the way as you try to slide your foot forward into the clip.

Incidentally, the main attraction of clipless pedals to the professionals, who were the first to use them, was safety. Where toe-clips and straps (usually fastened tightly to make a good joint between foot and pedal) kept the two feet firmly on the pedals when the rider came off, the clipless pedals automatically disengaged in the event of an accident. This avoided a lot of painful injuries caused by the fact that the bike had the rider's foot imprisoned by the clips and straps. Not that I want to put you off or anything!

Alf

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It also depends on the pedal design. Good ones have a tab on the bottom of the rear plate that helps you pick up and flip the pedal. Also you might struggle if the clips are too long. As others have said, chunky shoes such as trainers don't help.

tyred

Legendary Member
As the others say, practice, practice, practice. And if your pedals don't have the little tabs to make it easy to flip them, either change the pedals or make up something you can screw on to your existing pedals. Stiff straps also make it easier as they are less likely to sag and catch on your shoe. One further thing to note is that I found standard toe clips don't allow me to get my feet on the pedal properly. I had to extend the cage forward to be comfortable.

Davidc

Guru
What Alf says above makes good sense to me.

The best cycling shoes IMO were the Italian ones (up to the 90s) which had a stiff leather sole. lethal for walking though. The best I've found recently were Lidl ones - which have a plain plate if you don't fit clips.

automatic_jon said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if I'm wrong.

Howsomever; I've just gone from a hybrid that seemed to weigh similar to the Forth bridge to a (cheap) road bike, to see if I can cope with drop bars and charging through town head first.
The problem I'm having at the moment is not with the bars, although they take some getting used to, it's with the toe straps. They are great for putting power down but only after I've wibbled and wobbled trying to get my damned second foot in, holding up traffic and at one point nearly going over into the path of the traffic coming up from behind me.
I'm trying to flip the peddle up the right way with my toe and slide it in in one fluid action. And failing leading to either, having to peddle with my foot on the clip in order to get up enough momentum so I don't fall over or slowing until I'm almost track standing and looking down, carefully placing my foot in.

What am I doing wrong and why on earth is it so hard to get going when the lights change without looking like a prize lemon first?

I was the same when i started using toeclips, oh the embarassment of sitting in the middle of a busy junction with a bike attached to your foot.
It really is practice, you'll get used to them.Personally i prefer em.
Prize lemon? we've all been there.

Rockus

Like many have said, it about practice. But also don't think about it so much. I find if i just 'go', my foot seems to know what to do.

Top Bottom