Toe nail fungus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
OTC stuff will work but can take months and up to a year to sort out as its topical. Oral Terbinafine will work but as been said they need to keep an eye on liver function. But it's very much down to what local prescribing protocols are in place. As many areas have the condition on the won't prescribe list and will direct you to buy something like you already have.

OldShep

Über Member
+1 for Tea Tree oil always works for me.

I am a Chiropodist. And I don't have the silver bullet answer. After speaking to many patients over the years, it seems that people have had random successes or failures with the various methods and treatments out there.
And yes, all of the above suggestions in this thread probably have had good outcomes in some cases, but I don't think any method is a sure-fire thing... sometimes they work for some people, but others don't get the same result.
I had not heard of Milton Sterilising Fluid as a treatment for fungal nails. I'm aware that it is a disinfectant rather than being antifungal. But if it has worked well for some people, I can't argue with that.
There are quite a few variables - perhaps the fungus has gone deep into the nail root, or the nail thickness prevents enough penetration of topical treatments.
Another variable is that there are different strains of fungus. So different active ingredients in anti-fungal creams, sprays etc. may be effective for certain strains, but not great with others. So if you've tried a certain cream or spray for months with no result, then try a different one that has a different active ingredient. A friend or someone may say, hey this worked for me, but it doesn't mean it would necessarily work for anyone.
Oral Terbinafine probably has the best successful outcome on average. However, I wouldn't use it myself because of the slight risk of liver problems. I myself have fungal toenails, and even the low risk of side effects from using Oral Terbinafine does not seem worth it.
As mentioned, nothing is certain to work effectively. I have a go at my nails often (it's starting to work but verrrry slowly indeed). I've used Daktarin spray, Mycota cream (from Home Bargains) and Tea Tree Oil. I'm consistent in the warm weather, but tend to slacken off when it gets cold. That's me not being compliant with my own intentions.
If you do try Tea Tree Oil, probably best not to use a cheapo type - the cheap bottles have 20 to 40% actual Tea Tree Oil. It's best to try 100% neat oil... costs more of course. And if the nails are pretty thick, maybe have them burred away to make them thinner. A Chiropodist / Podiatrist can do this for you, or you can buy little drill gadgets - go very cautiously if you buy a gadget, as the abrasion can be damaging or get very hot and burn the skin under and around the nail.

Jameshow

Veteran
I am a Chiropodist. And I don't have the silver bullet answer. After speaking to many patients over the years, it seems that people have had random successes or failures with the various methods and treatments out there.
And yes, all of the above suggestions in this thread probably have had good outcomes in some cases, but I don't think any method is a sure-fire thing... sometimes they work for some people, but others don't get the same result.
I had not heard of Milton Sterilising Fluid as a treatment for fungal nails. I'm aware that it is a disinfectant rather than being antifungal. But if it has worked well for some people, I can't argue with that.
There are quite a few variables - perhaps the fungus has gone deep into the nail root, or the nail thickness prevents enough penetration of topical treatments.
Another variable is that there are different strains of fungus. So different active ingredients in anti-fungal creams, sprays etc. may be effective for certain strains, but not great with others. So if you've tried a certain cream or spray for months with no result, then try a different one that has a different active ingredient. A friend or someone may say, hey this worked for me, but it doesn't mean it would necessarily work for anyone.
Oral Terbinafine probably has the best successful outcome on average. However, I wouldn't use it myself because of the slight risk of liver problems. I myself have fungal toenails, and even the low risk of side effects from using Oral Terbinafine does not seem worth it.
As mentioned, nothing is certain to work effectively. I have a go at my nails often (it's starting to work but verrrry slowly indeed). I've used Daktarin spray, Mycota cream (from Home Bargains) and Tea Tree Oil. I'm consistent in the warm weather, but tend to slacken off when it gets cold. That's me not being compliant with my own intentions.
If you do try Tea Tree Oil, probably best not to use a cheapo type - the cheap bottles have 20 to 40% actual Tea Tree Oil. It's best to try 100% neat oil... costs more of course. And if the nails are pretty thick, maybe have them burred away to make them thinner. A Chiropodist / Podiatrist can do this for you, or you can buy little drill gadgets - go very cautiously if you buy a gadget, as the abrasion can be damaging or get very hot and burn the skin under and around the nail.

I've been using tree tree oil shower gel for a couple of weeks, using it on my feet for both athletes foot and toe nail fungus, does seen to be having a positive effect. Make of it what you will.

PK99

Legendary Member
Anything to do with feet makes me xx(

I have heard Tee Trea oil works but it takes a long time to work.

All methods take a long time - the infected part of the nail needs to grow out and be clipped off

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

How do you get a fungal nail infection then? Do you have to catch it from somewhere or does it just appear?

srj10

Guru
I had fungal infection on both big toenails, chiropodist referred me to Doctor who prescribed oral Terbinafine after blood tests on liver condition. Took the tablets for a year with two further blood tests and the condition cleared up on both toes however it has returned on my right toe although not as bad as the first time.

How do you get a fungal nail infection then? Do you have to catch it from somewhere or does it just appear?

Hi. To my knowledge, the ways you can acquire a fungal nail infection are walking barefoot in places where other people have walked, such as changing rooms for example. Or you can get it in the garden (or other outdoor terrains), if it gets in your shoes/sandals or wellies. It can be in soil or tree bark - tiny bits can make their way into your footwear.

I've been using this stuff on prescription for about three months.
It says it can take 6 months for finger nails and a year for toe nails.
It is working, The affected part of my thumb nail has almost grown out and nothing is coming behind. I like to tell myself it is working on the affected toe nails, but it's hard to see.
View attachment 708881

used this in the past with little results, however i stopped filing the toe nail half way through. i gave up and decided to have another go at it, filing the nail each week and reapplying
if it hasn't worked once i run out i may just give up on it 😩

Top Bottom