toe overlap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monnet

Guru
gavintc said:
It is a problem on the shorter framed road bikes. I have not ridden many bikes as I am relatively new to road cycling. But, all 3 carbon bikes I have ridden had two overlap, but my winter Ribble does not.

To be honest, it is not a problem. You only notice when moving slowly in a car park or perhaps turning out of a junction from stationary. When you are actually spinning along - completely ignorable.

Funnily enough I do have it a bit with my winter Ribble, but I agree about the slow/ stationary vs spinning along point.

briank

Seems logical that the steeper angles of a road (race) bike would be more likely to have toe overlap than a tourer of the same size.

Anyway, how big are your feet?

bonj2

is this where you can touch your toe with the back of the front tyre if you turn the bars when stationary? if so my road bike does that. Not really much of a problem though.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have toe-overlap on my fixie and I dont recall it ever being a problem. You just need to think a bit more sometimes on a fixie!

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
briank said:
Anyway, how big are your feet?
Size 12. I am scared that if I buy a road bike that I might fall off if there is toe overlap as I turn the bike.

It looks from the replies that my fears are unfounded, even though some say they do have toe overlap but it's not a problem for them (?).

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Got it on my Spesh Allez - as people have said not really an issue.

It is a bit distracting sometimes when I stop at lights and 'trackstand' (not true trackstanding, I'm sure) rather than unclipping as I seem to move the handlebars a lot sometimes trying to get my balance (I remain seated) and it can catch at times.... always be prepared to unclip in a hurry and make it look like that was what you planned to do. :sad:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
People keep talking about toe overlap being a problem at low speed etc...I'm naturally more interested at knowing if I'll hit the deck at speed on a bend.

biking_fox

Guru
I'm naturally more interested at knowing if I'll hit the deck at speed on a bend.

No chance.

When you're riding your ordinary bike at speed, next time you go round a corner look how much you are turning the wheel. 1 degree? plus a bit of lean.

Toe overlap happens when you turn the wheel lots which you're never going to do at speed, because the action of turning the wheel that much will deck you.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
biking_fox said:
No chance.
Music to my ears. Thanks for the explanation.

shooter560

I've got overlap on all my bikes, road and time trial ones, I never stop pedalling round corners unless I think the pedal will ground out while lent over. I've never once come close to catching foot and tyre while riding and unless you are doing walking speed or less I can't see how its possible.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It's a bit of a problem sometimes on my commuter bike (compounded by the addition of mudguards). I've caught my foot a couple times when turning at slow speed while trying to carve a way through stationary traffic. It isn't possible to do it at speed.

bonj2

Maz said:
People keep talking about toe overlap being a problem at low speed etc...I'm naturally more interested at knowing if I'll hit the deck at speed on a bend.

xx(:biggrin::biggrin:
not unless you can turn tightly enough to do a u-turn in the road at 25mph.

Top Bottom