Toe overlap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was just reading about the Zoncolan and the hairpin bends higher up. Got me thinking how do riders steer around these at slow crawling speeds with inevitable toe overlap suffered on many bikes. I have size 12 flippers so always have overlap. Slow speed tight hill turns I would be off constantly :wacko:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Wide sweeping turn which usually also lessens the gradient momentarily

Have you never been round a hairpin bend before ? They're not THAT tight.

Toe overlap is usually only an issue at very slow speed manoeuvres - getting through a gate onto a restricted bike path or something.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Have you never been round a hairpin bend before ? They're not THAT tight.

Toe overlap is usually only an issue at very slow speed manoeuvres - getting through a gate onto a restricted bike path or something.
Yes but not on a % gradient like the zoncolon and with pro’s riding such small framed bikes I wondered if they suffered and how they got round it

If you watch most riders on steeper sections then they ALWAYS take the outer side of the road ie the longer way round which is slightly less steep. Hairpins are on most of my routes here, CAT2 with about 4 hairpins last Sunday up to 15% and there's just nothing to worry about regarding toe overlap, maybe if you were wearing skis but not in cycling shoes:laugh:

If it was an issue there would be incidents on every hairpin. But there aren't because it's simply not an issue.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

If it was an issue there would be incidents on every hairpin. But there aren't because it's simply not an issue.
That’s ok, I was just curious so asked the question. I have a fair bit of toe overlap as 5’ 10” with size 12 feet. Just curious that’s all

Most pro riders are climbing at speeds in excess of 10mph so TCO is not an issue. At this speed you cant turn the bars far enough. It is only as issue at stalling speeds.

Twilkes

Guru
I've never had a clipless moment, but the closest I've come is setting off from traffic lights on a bend and finding that the foot I want to push down with first is jammed against the bottom the mudguard of the slightly turned front wheel, and because I'm clipped in it takes longer than it otherwise might to realise what's happening and extricate myself. Size 13 so I can experience it on medium speed turns, although I'm probably more cautious than I need to be, and without a mudguard it would be less of a problem.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I've never had a clipless moment, but the closest I've come is setting off from traffic lights on a bend and finding that the foot I want to push down with first is jammed against the bottom the mudguard of the slightly turned front wheel, and because I'm clipped in it takes longer than it otherwise might to realise what's happening and extricate myself. Size 13 so I can experience it on medium speed turns, although I'm probably more cautious than I need to be, and without a mudguard it would be less of a problem.
Same, size 12 and 56 medium frame so can clip a toe on medium speed too

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I get occasional toe overlap on my commute bike. This bike also does all other rides including hilly hairpins. It is only ever an issue when stopped at junctions and trying to trackstand. This isn't going to be an issue for most folk.

Top Bottom