Toeclip straps ... fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
I am just completing a rebuid of a vintage bike for a customer ..... he wants to fit old-style toeclips and straps which have been sourced (NOS Campag with the buttons - stunning)

Question : back in the day when I rode with toeclips and straps the straps were twisted where they pass though the pedal (under the shoe) - I assume to stop them moving through the slots in the pedals as you pulled them tighter .... is that correct? - and if so should I twist them one or two turns?

Thanks

midlife

Guru
Yep, depends how tight they are going through the slots, if they are quite tight then it looks better just flat, if not then two turns.

midlife

Guru
Are they c record?

3e9bee448bc33547cac571854245efe62044a6ec.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
I am just completing a rebuid of a vintage bike for a customer ..... he wants to fit old-style toeclips and straps which have been sourced (NOS Campag with the buttons - stunning)

Question : back in the day when I rode with toeclips and straps the straps were twisted where they pass though the pedal (under the shoe) - I assume to stop them moving through the slots in the pedals as you pulled them tighter .... is that correct? - and if so should I twist them one or two turns?

Thanks

Yes.

Slioch

Guru
A single twist always worked ok for me, but then I was touring rather than racing, so tightness wasn't ultra critical.

freiston

Veteran
I used to use a toestrap button (the sort that thread onto the strap and secure with a screw), against the inside of the outer edge of the pedal, instead of a twist - it really held the strap secure and prevented it from working its way round.

Top Bottom