Toes, who'd have 'em.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Odd isn't it that with the human body being a marvel of bio engineering and able to absorb a lot of abuse, but badly damage teeth or feet and most of us have great difficulty in functioning. :whistle:

We would all be dead by our mid 40s if it wasn’t for modern medicine and home comforts.
Evolution hasn’t kept pace in the last 1000 years.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Imagine how it must have been in the middle ages. ok, their diet wasn't as bad (no acidic drinks or processed sugar) but I imagine the person who fashioned pliers out of bone/stone was very popular

IIRC they had stone dust in their flour that ground the teeth away instead.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We would all be dead by our mid 40s if it wasn’t for modern medicine and home comforts.
A lot of the problems are/were actually due to poor sanitation and overcrowded housing. Some people lived to 80, 90, or even 100+!

... I walked around the graveyard at Haworth Parsonage. There were lots of tombstones with multiple children's names on, and quite a few for people who had lived to 80+ years, but relatively few for middle-aged people. I looked it up afterwards - in 1850, life expectancy in the village was 25.8 years and 41.6% died by the age of 6! :eek: - sanitary report.

gbb

Legendary Member
Possibly the nail bed has got damaged. I had 20 nail dystrophy for decades, the nail separates sometimes a bit, sometimes a lot from the bed. Mine became a mess for many years as they grew back, sometimes distorted as the beds became more damaged. The last 5 to 10 years has seen them heal for the most part but it can be a long process.
My wife had an ingrowing toe nail removed, it's cream crackers the beds, it never grows back right.

classic33

Leg End Member
I removed one myself around 9 months ago with screwdriver and pliers. Photos available on request. On my big toe. When it became infected a week later the nurse at the surgery said it really broke up her day to hear that id kept everything sterile with Cillit Bang.
Removed the nail on my big toe, right foot, one night using a Draper 24TPI hacksaw blade. It wasn't growing back right, even after trying to let it grow off.
Nearly an 1/8" thick.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
One of my nails

1280__10332.1499372196.1280.1280__64250.1499373130.png

simongt

Guru
Yup. apparently the human body is still 'designed' to last about fifty years, but the with 'marvels of modern technology', diet, softer living etc., etc., many of us live way beyond our use by date - ! :laugh:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yup. apparently the human body is still 'designed' to last about fifty years, but the with 'marvels of modern technology', diet, softer living etc., etc., many of us live way beyond our use by date - ! :laugh:

Definitely beyond that 'sell by' date ! :blush: Broken enough bones in last 10 years to verify that !

simongt

Guru
'Never regret growing old, it's a privilege denied to many'. :okay:
Very true, as long as you're fit and healthy for your age.
But if like my sister, you have terminal emphysema; although she admits that's entirely her own fault for smoking, getting old isn't nice. :dry:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Back when I had a job, one of my PCs went sick after walking though his house barefoot, catching it on some furniture and almost severing his little toe. Would've put Hannibal Lecter off his dinner.

oooh god, anything like that makes my front bottom go all funny xx(

Top Bottom