Toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Winter boots are fantastic. I have Shimano MW81
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...re-tex-winter-mtb-spd-boots-2015/rp-prod66829
0- 5C they are good for 2-3 hrs.
With overshoes they will be good for all day in the coldest weather you will get in the UK.

me too they work well...i use walking socks with mine..sealskins tend to be cold..

id think its shoes too tight @Tin Pot ..but hopefully no health issues..
My right big toe feels cold and numb this wether but it did get damaged when high siding a motorbike which decided to land on my heal and push the big toe the wrong way..i know not a good image..

For the cold long warm socks, 'windproof' outer socks and overshoes. However since you get it year round it sounds more like a circulation issue, make sure you can wiggle your toes and flex them easy enough.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I too suffer with cold feet. Winter boots made a huge improvement but I I still suffered after a couple of hours on cold days.
I got some merino wool socks for Christmas. What a difference compared to my thermal socks.. First time I was glad to get socks for Christmas! Endurance Baa Baa. Fab.

Cold

So bad it's your forum name?!

Yes anything over about 2 hours my feet are like blocks of ice tried one,two,three pairs of socks over shoes different insoles, wore my shoes tight loose and nothing works.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I took a thick pair of walking socks to the shop when I bought my cycling shoes, as I decided I'd rather feel a bit sweaty in summer than a block of ice in winter. The shoes have mesh panels, so my winter cycling socks are also waterproof to stop the wind penetrating.

Foil wrapped around toes - seemed to work, but fell apart
That sounds like a good idea, and I'm tempted to do something similar. You could try buying a survival blanket, and making some socks with duck tape. The survival blanket should be some kind of plastic-foil laminate, so hopefully won't tear or disintegrate like foil does on its own. An empty crisp packet might also work, but I doubt the foil component in a crisp packet is anywhere near as good as a proper survival blanket (one is supposedly for freshness, and the other for thermal insulation). Let me know if you have a go, I'd be interested to know if it works.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Plenty of helpful advice already, so all I will add is what I occasionally do when (not if) my feet get too cold.... I get off and walk/jog for a while to get the blood flowing around my tootsies.
My problem is circulation, especially my right big toe, and being clipped in, feet actually do very little movement.
Well, it works for me most of the time :okay:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Quite a lot of cycling shoes have vents under the toes. I fill mine with bathroom sealant at the start of the winter and pull it out in spring.

adscrim

Veteran
Before going down the winter boots road, I wore toe covers under my overshoes on really cold days - that helped alot.

Top Bottom