Toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I lose sensation in them all year round on longer rides. Right now they are icicles for upto 4.5hrs a day. I think this is bad for me.

DhB shoes
DhB socks
Sugoi waterproof overshoes

1. Double sock - tried, no effect, worse if anything

2. Foil wrapped around toes - seemed to work, but fell apart

3. Pulling up pedals as opposed to pushing down - seems to get some circulation in, but not enough to matter

4. Cleats set to midsole (by bike fitter) - no effect

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Toe box is possibly too small - could try loosening the shoe as much as possible near the toe or get wider shoes.

Siclo

Veteran
Toe box is possibly too small - could try loosening the shoe as much as possible near the toe or get wider shoes.

It was this for me, Bontrager shoes have a mahoosive toe box - bigger than Sidi mega and Shimano wide, also when I put them on I curl my toes up to make room in the shoe then fasten the strap, feels very loose at first but after my feet have swollen up a few hours later, its a snug fit.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Check shoes for vents and tape them up (inside and out, and renew regularly).
Get winter boots (they normally don't have vents and are more robust/insulating).
I shall assume that you think the Sugoi waterproof overshoes are effectively waterproof and offer some insulation (neoprene?).
Socks made of Merino wool (will need space in shoe as a bit thicker than 'normal' socks). Some use a thin pair and a warmer pair (again depends on space in shoe).
Err on the warm side for your lower legs - the blood's got to go all the way down there before it gets right out to the toes and the warmer it stays/arrives the better - so tights or leg warmers. I use calf 'guards/warmers' under (windproof) tights.
Sometimes people have reported that good (maybe expensive) insoles replacing the as sold ones can give some relief (because of the beneficial effect to circulation in the feet).

Regular conscious/conscientious toe wiggling (say, after every time you have a drink).
Get into a cafe more often.

When you next come to replace your shoes, consider going one size up so you can fit more sock/insulation in.

I have had frostbite in some of my toes and frostnip in the rest so this an important issue for me too.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Do you also get cold hands ? Could be Reynauds ?

Nope, hands are fine in DhB windproof gloves. A friend of mine suffers from Reynauds so I am aware of it.

I am bitterly cold after getting home though, I've never taken so long to warm up - shivering a few hours later even, sometimes.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Check shoes for vents and tape them up (inside and out, and renew regularly).
Get winter boots (they normally don't have vents and are more robust/insulating).
I shall assume that you think the Sugoi waterproof overshoes are effectively waterproof and offer some insulation (neoprene?).
Socks made of Merino wool (will need space in shoe as a bit thicker than 'normal' socks). Some use a thin pair and a warmer pair (again depends on space in shoe).
Err on the warm side for your lower legs - the blood's got to go all the way down there before it gets right out to the toes and the warmer it stays/arrives the better - so tights or leg warmers. I use calf 'guards/warmers' under (windproof) tights.
Sometimes people have reported that good (maybe expensive) insoles replacing the as sold ones can give some relief (because of the beneficial effect to circulation in the feet).

Regular conscious/conscientious toe wiggling (say, after every time you have a drink).
Get into a cafe more often.

When you next come to replace your shoes, consider going one size up so you can fit more sock/insulation in.

I have had frostbite in some of my toes and frostnip in the rest so this an important issue for me too.

I'll tape up the vents now.

I'm sure I've got some ski socks somewhere - I'd not considered the calves, but running this morning they were practically numb! So good point.

The overshoes are actually Endura Luminite II Overshoe. 90% polyester, 10% PU. They feel like a thin insulator but not like thick neoprene.

@Siclo
I was mulling over some bontragers but my bike fitter didn't recommend changing the shoes. At least not without visiting him again (££).

I'll make sure I'm not strapping them tightly though.

Cheers for the tips and thoughts all. :smile:

Top Bottom