Tom Cruise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
If we are doing tom cruise appreciation, then "Knight and day" is by far the most entertaining, kind of mainstream film I have seen him in, "a few good men" is one of my favourites too, with "vanilla sky" a close second/third

But I always enjoy his action stuff, he is very convincing and has an attraction that is undeniable.

Vanilla Sky is a horrendous remake of Abre los ojos, which is a wonderful film.

I do quite like Cruise - he's an inoffensive sort of actor who has done some really good stuff. I'm not sure why he gets slated the way he does to be honest.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

I do quite like Cruise - he's an inoffensive sort of actor who has done some really good stuff. I'm not sure why he gets slated the way he does to be honest.
I didn't know that, I'll check it out.

I think, because he is seen by the earnest thespian community as a mostly "commercial" actor he is perceived generally as a lightweight...a disneyesque product. Which is a shame as he has done a lot of good stuf

Perhaps he needs to tread the boards to be taken seriously...but then he probably considers the virtue of being taken serioislay , on his way to the bank each day.

I read somewhere that the claims of doing his own stunts are a bit exaggerated. It's not that he isn't capable of them but that if he did have any sort of injury happen it could postpone the filming schedule costing $$$ while he mends. Just an economics thing. Of course with fame and being credited as a producer on his films now he may have more control over what he does than in the past.

AndyRM

XOXO
He does give this inescapable impression of being just a bit too pleased with himself. It's true that he has much to be pleased about, but smug is never a popular a look.

Smug is a good word to use I think.

You could level many of the criticisms on this thread at Brad Pitt or George Clooney but they do seem a bit more humble.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

Wouldn't have been too bad if it ended at the moment he finally realises what's really going on. But no, we had to have the tedious explanation of it all as he goes up in the lift fo the benefit of those in the cinema who weren't following the story and got lost 10 minutes in. If you haven't seen Vanilla Sky, don't watch beyond the bit where the bloke in the lift arrives. It's a better point to leave the movie, kind of like in the Italian Job that ends on a (literal) cliffhanger.

Top Bottom