Tonight’s rant about Denmark Euro game.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This shows how even the most healthy can have underlying issues, which might affect our everyday lives, often without warning, bringing a total change for us and those around us.
The public nature of this incident is unfortunate, for he and his family, and seemingly many others around the world, and it may be right that tv coverage was inadvertently poor control on broadcast.
On a slightly different tack,
End of life, and the issues which bring this are not often discussed openly in this country, and if this were to change could result in greater understanding of the issues, a more robust support for us all, and better understanding that we will all have an end, which could be considered ‘good’.
Best wishes to the footballer and his family and friends, and to those who have had an emotional response to watching it, on this occasion all is well.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
And it goes to prove the (somewhat miss used) saying, 'Make the most of every day you get. I try to live by it but do have off days as do we all I guess.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is really scary to think that this happened to a very fit young sportsman who would have getting regular detailed health checks.

It sounds like he was lucky to survive (hopefully) without permanent damage, although unless they can find a cause and fix the problem that is probably the end of his career.

Although shocking to spectators, it was a good thing that it happened where and when it did. If medical care had not been immediately available like that then he would not have survived.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As can anything in life. It is a positive thing that football has made Christian financially secure and given him a great life. He is a national treasure in Denmark and that will not change.

A cardiac arrest cannot be attributed to football. On the contrary. You would think being a fit footballer would help prevent it.

Having said that a good friend of mine died on a football pitch when he was 20 of a cardiac arrest. He was super fit.
A consultant cardiologist was on the radio. He said all Spurs player have heart screening annually and he suspects Inter Milan would do too seeing how much they pay for their players. So even being super fit and with the most sophisticated screening money can buy these thing still happen.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We have just paid for a new one in the village after the last one was stolen :ohmy: What I did not know was that if they are stolen, whoever owns it can immobilise it through an app. The new one has a tracker installed.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
We have just paid for a new one in the village after the last one was stolen :ohmy: What I did not know was that if they are stolen, whoever owns it can immobilise it through an app. The new one has a tracker installed.
I haven’t looked closely at the ones we have. Is there anything to unlock them, like a code or something that you might need your phone to obtain? I am one of these people that still hardly carries mine and would hate to not be able to gain access if that was the case.

presta

Guru
A cardiac arrest cannot be attributed to football. On the contrary. You would think being a fit footballer would help prevent it.
Then think again, large quantities of exercise increase the risk of developing a heart arrhythmia. Exercise is just like food, good for you in moderation, harmful in excess.

It is really scary to think that this happened to a very fit young sportsman who would have getting regular detailed health checks.
I had two Bruce tests, three holter monitors, and more ECGs than you can poke a stick at, but the only times the NHS have ever seen my arrhythmia are the other ten occasions when I've fetched up at A&E in an ambulance.

From the Bethesda Eligibility Recommendations for Competitive Athletes With Cardiovascular Abnormalities:
"Arrhythmias commonly are evanescent, often disappearing unpredictably for long periods of time, in some cases years. If they recur when the athlete is not exercising, the arrhythmia may not be noted or may not produce significant symptoms. The same arrhythmia may minimally affect a competitive golfer but severely incapacitate other athletes, such as cross-country skiers, performing at peak physical effort. The athlete may not develop the arrhythmia during each sporting event."

I haven’t looked closely at the ones we have. Is there anything to unlock them, like a code or something that you might need your phone to obtain? I am one of these people that still hardly carries mine and would hate to not be able to gain access if that was the case.
Best check yours out but there are units that require you to call 999 and they give you the code to release the unit.
The chance of survival drops 10% every minute without a defib according to my first aid instructor. So best carry a phone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then think again, large quantities of exercise increase the risk of developing a heart arrhythmia. Exercise is just like food, good for you in moderation, harmful in excess.
I was very ill in 2012/13 and ever since then I have been able to put my heart into arrhythmia by excessive physical efforts. I'm okay up to (say) 90-95% effort but that last 5-10% can set it off.

So far it has been just an unpleasant random 'fluttering', but it can go on for hours, or even over a day sometimes.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I have zero interest in football but this incident made me think what a harsh game it can be. This young mans footballing career is likely over now. Football can suck you in build you up and spit you out just as quickly.
That was nothing to do with football though, it's exactly the sort of thing that could happen literally anywhere. Apparently, one in every 30,000 people have a condition that will not show up on any sort of cardiac testing but can and does emerge in the fittest people exerting themselves at sporting events. A senior Cardiologist was explaining this after the death of a runner at the London Marathon and he explained that things like this should be expected in events that have - co-incidentally, 30,000 participants because the numbers fit the facts perfectly.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That was nothing to do with football though, it's exactly the sort of thing that could happen literally anywhere.
I know. But it did happen in football. My point was what is this highly paid footballer going to do now his career is over? Football has sucked all it can from him and now he'll be thrown on the scarp heap as far as football is concerned. Just very sad from a his personal perspective.

Top Bottom