Tonight’s rant about Denmark Euro game.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Broadcasting companies will instantly apologise for foul language or immediately turn the cameras away should a streaker invade the pitch but they have no issue showing a player in need of urgent medical attention or a grieving wife. Absolutely disgusting that, speechless.

Over the Ord

Wasn’t watching the match but saw highlights and I agree with you on showing the people in distress, although showing the players support for the family was positive.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s not easy making instant editorial decisions.
I imagine lessons will be learned from this.

Streakers used to get airtime but now the cameras don’t show it. Lesson learned.

I remember watching the grim aftermath of the Senna’s crash live on TV. Nowadays F1 would stop showing footage far quicker. Lesson learned.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I think it's fair to say that initially, the severity of the situation wasn't picked up by the UEFA TV crew, no one really expects what happened on the pitch yesterday to happen, it is a incredibly rare. However, i think that the magnitude of the incident would have been picked up long before it was cut to the studio. I really don't know if the BBC had the power to cut to the studio at any point, but i would imagine that surely they'd have that editorial power to do so. In fact, Ian Wright seems to think they should have and he certainly has more TV punditry experience than me...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We saw very little of the incident in Denmark. It cut to a shot outside Parken very quickly.

Youtube was full of it very quickly, there are some ghouls out there.

But the overwhelming feeling was that there are far more important things than football. The Finlands team and supporters were a credit to Finland.

To anyone Who finds any humour in this. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
With the greatest respect to everyone and not being remotely interested in sport, just saw this and wondered what was going on. Why can't people be as concerned and shocked about the many inequalities of people suffering in so many ways every day in every country. We seem happy to be blind to that but a person collapsing during a game of sport on TV spurs national coverage? People are still dying from war, starvation, famine right now. Why no national outrage and effort to help?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
With the greatest respect to everyone and not being remotely interested in sport, just saw this and wondered what was going on. Why can't people be as concerned and shocked about the many inequalities of people suffering in so many ways every day in every country. We seem happy to be blind to that but a person collapsing during a game of sport on TV spurs national coverage? People are still dying from war, starvation, famine right now. Why no national outrage and effort to help?
I posted this in the Sports sub forum. It sums it up nicely.

Nice phrase to sum up today.
“Sport is the most important of the least important things”

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have zero interest in football but this incident made me think what a harsh game it can be. This young mans footballing career is likely over now. Football can suck you in build you up and spit you out just as quickly.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I have zero interest in football but this incident made me think what a harsh game it can be. This young mans footballing career is likely over now. Football can suck you in build you up and spit you out just as quickly.
It's not football though, its life, simple. Football places huge exertion on people as do many other sports, our own included. Thankfully its extraordinarily rare. It is a sobering thought though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As can anything in life. It is a positive thing that football has made Christian financially secure and given him a great life. He is a national treasure in Denmark and that will not change.

A cardiac arrest cannot be attributed to football. On the contrary. You would think being a fit footballer would help prevent it.

Having said that a good friend of mine died on a football pitch when he was 20 of a cardiac arrest. He was super fit.

Top Bottom