Tonight’s rant about Denmark Euro game.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
They even tell you what to do.

Slick

Guru
Still worth knowing how they work though, how would you know where to place the pads?
It tells you and there is a diagram.

Accuracy is not critical, you are basically trying to shoot an electrical current through the heart so pretty straightforward.

stephec

Legendary Member
It tells you and there is a diagram.

Accuracy is not critical, you are basically trying to shoot an electrical current through the heart so pretty straightforward.
As has already been said though, time is of the essence and any delay, such as reading instructions, is something you definitely don't want in that situation.

Slick

Guru
As has already been said though, time is of the essence and any delay, such as reading instructions, is something you definitely don't want in that situation.
Honestly, it takes seconds even for those with zero training. The machine speaks to you telling you what to do and when to do it and then completes a lot of checks whilst charging. Only when it is sure everything is right and no heartbeat can be detected will it send a charge through the heart. Everyone should know where their local one is and know how to use it but knowing the location and how to release it is far more important than knowing how to work it. I do understand your trepidation though but in an emergency you would be able to set the machine up.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've had training on one a while back as I'm part of our local parkrun core team, you can understand why people who've never seen one before might panic though.

Two and a half years ago my son had a cardiac arrest, I was with him in his room talking as normal when, without any warning he fell down as if he'd fainted.

Luckily I didn't panic, probably because I didn't realise how serious it was, and checked his tongue before putting him into the recovery position, after not being able to wake him I dialled 999 and the operator talked me through a few things.

I called down to Mrs Stephec to warn her about the ambulance when I was told to start CPR, she came up and started that as she'd been on a first aid course for work only a week before.

Even though it was half eight on a Saturday night we had an ambulance and two cars arrive quickly and they took over and shocked him twice to get him going again.

That's why I might sound a bit obsessive when it comes to knowing how to use a defib.

My point was what is this highly paid footballer going to do now his career is over? Football has sucked all it can from him and now he'll be thrown on the scarp heap as far as football is concerned. Just very sad from a his personal perspective.

I admire your sympathy for him, but what was "sucked from him", and in what way?
How is this different from the many people in regular jobs who get sick and lose their income?
Surely he is better off having earned a small fortune from the game, before this awful incident (final outcome unknown) ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
His talent which was used to further his club. Sure he was paid handsomely for it but It’s a bit different if you were earning perhaps a few hundred quid a week to a top player’s £40k a week to suddenly have your livelihood taken away.
I know many won’t have much sympathy for someone who has benefitted hugely from the game and in some ways neither do I but I was just pondering what effect it has on being a superstar to suddenly having to trade it for a ‘normal’ life.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
His talent which was used to further his club. Sure he was paid handsomely for it but It’s a bit different if you were earning perhaps a few hundred quid a week to a top player’s £40k a week to suddenly have your livelihood taken away.
I know many won’t have much sympathy for someone who has benefitted hugely from the game and in some ways neither do I but I was just pondering what effect it has on being a superstar to suddenly having to trade it for a ‘normal’ life.
A sports stars working life is always going to be short. 15 years would be about average.
Loads of players have career ending injuries. I dont know how long he has left on his Milan contract but that will still be paying him for a while yet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Top players? 40k a week :laugh: …add a 0 to that for the truly top players…if not more (plus endorsements etc)!
I’m sure he’ll continue to have a career in football (management, coaching, punditry etc) even if he does have to retire from playing :okay:

stephec

Legendary Member
Either him or his club, or possibly both, will have some kind of insurance policy to cover certain events which might well pay out here, although he's probably got more important things on his mind now.

DRM

Guru
Even doing CPR until a paramedic turns up is good, the rubbish that they put in films where the victim takes a huge gasp and comes round is stupid, just keeping the blood flowing helps, even if the victim does die, you tried, if you don’t try they definitely will die

Top Bottom