Tonight I cooked...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Curry powder or paste?

This started out life as a Madhur Jaffrey fish madras recipe. IIRC it also had vinegar, fennel seed & fenugreek in, but they got left out somewhere along the way. The coriander leaf was my addition.

500g Chicken
220g Onion
400g Tinned tomatoes
15g Flour
40g Oil
3 Garlic cloves
30g Ginger
2.5cc Ground cumin
1.25cc Cumin seeds
7.5cc Coriander leaf
2.5cc Ground coriander
5cc Garam masala
2.5cc Cayenne pepper
1.25cc Ground turmeric
0.6cc Black pepper
0.6cc Salt

I make it with chicken, fish, or veg.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Paste here, for a Madras: onion, ginger, chilli, coriander seed, turmeric and black pepper.
I think Pataks is very hard to beat. Also tried their 'cook in' sauces but not so good.

I think Pataks is very hard to beat. Also tried their 'cook in' sauces but not so good.

I make curries from the Subcontinent often enough to not need to bother with ready made pastes and sauces - I've always got the basic ingredients to hand. The post office in the next village along (run by a really lovely Bangladeshi bloke) sells spices and other bits in decent quantities rather than the miniscule little jars that Tesco do. :biggrin:

I *do* buy the Thai pastes from the little oriental shop in Ely as they're more convenient than buying ingredients I don't often use - and taste far better than the anaemic glop that's sold in the supermarkets.

Speaking of which, I kind of fancy a Nasi Goreng at some point...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Chicken Tikka Massala here, the Chicken marinaded in a Tandoori spice powder with some finely chopped ginger, a couple of garlic cloves and a teaspoon of salt with the juice of a Lemon then grilled before being added to the sauce made with a finely diced onion browned off with a chilli then some more of the Tandoori spice blend, a teaspoon of mild curry powder mix, chicken stock and a squirt of tomato puree then double cream (half a tub) Served with 'Basmati and Wild Rice' a Chapati and some homemade Raita

Chicken Tikka Massala here, the Chicken marinaded in a Tandoori spice powder with some finely chopped ginger, a couple of garlic cloves and a teaspoon of salt with the juice of a Lemon then grilled before being added to the sauce made with a finely diced onion browned off with a chilli then some more of the Tandoori spice blend, a teaspoon of mild curry powder mix, chicken stock and a squirt of tomato puree then double cream (half a tub) Served with 'Basmati and Wild Rice' a Chapati and some homemade Raita

Hmmm, now that gives me an idea for some of the cooked chicken I bought on YS yesterday...

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The reason I don't use paste is that I don't make enough curry to finish the jar before the use by date.
I was happily making meals with a large pot of matsaman paste every few weeks, until it starting changing. It was "different" rather than unpleasant, but when it started going "weird" I took a closer look at the label and discovered:

(a) It was over 5 years out of date. Er!
(b) something along the lines of "discard after 3 weeks". Oh!
(c) "keep refrigerated after opening". Wow!

A little late into the bin. MAybe I should have donated it (and my gut flora) to the Jenner Institute?

... a ham, cheese, onion & red pepper quiche. :hungry:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
... a ham, cheese, onion & red pepper quiche. :hungry:

Fab, i love a quiche.

I did a bbq on Monday evening, we ate on the patio with the sun low over the horizon and a bottle of wine within reach. Perfect.

Better half had prepared:
Home made coleslaw
Chicken skewers
Feta salad
Potato salad (jersey royals)

I'd prepared:
Pork and pineapple kebabs
Ribs (pre baked earlier in a slow oven)

Cooked on a charcoal bbq.
Along with some pork and apple bangers.

Hungry again now!

Top Bottom