Too early for fingerless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Went back to fingerless the other week, lasted 1 short round trip, by the time I got to my destination and got into the warmth, my hands began to get sore as they were so cold!

ayceejay

Guru
If you go out in fingerless gloves and come back fingerless you know that it is too cold.
It was minus 12 with the wind yesterday and I still haven't found the gloves to deal with that, I had twp pairs on and my hands ached from trying to grip and keep warm.

subaqua

What’s the point
just. i take em off and put em on at regular intervals as I need. wapping down penton rise needs them riding up at the end of the day doesnt.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Frost all week so far on my commute , leaving the house at 5.45 am , so its been aldi "winter " gloves with cotton liners , taking the liner out for the return trip.
I do have reynauds syndrome though so i have to be careful about keeping my hands and feet warm.

cyberknight

5 am start for me and this week its been bloody freezing and windy....thick winter gloves and still feeling the cold, fingers have been stinging a bit, plus me overshoes finally fell apart this week so me toes were a bit on the cold side...
at a push sandwich bags/cling film in your shoes can keep your toes warmer than nowt

cyberknight

Yes!! That's what I did all through winter - keep the cold right off...I was sock, bag, sock, shoe
I use toe covers under overshoes mid winter , i did buy some winter boots but they are too tight as i have wide feet so they they ineffective as i had no wiggle room so not enough blood flow .I can wear them with summer socks but it defeats ( feet ?) the object .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All depends on the individual as to how thick you need your gloves. I've mainly been using lightweight full finger gloves that are a little thicker than mits most of the winter. I've started using mitts on the ride home, last week when warm but back to full finger each way.

It's worth having a few sets of varying thickness.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Warm's best, overheating is an uncomfortable 2nd best, cold is worst. I have to reach overheating point before I move down a level. At the moment, I'm wearing a light long fingered single layer glove that I don't think were ever designed for cycling, but the important thing is they're just warm enough.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have lightweight (dayglo cat-sick yellow) gloves under my fingerless mitts. When I get hot, I just put the running gloves in my pocket and carry on. I did a whole ride with just my fingerless mitts today.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't do cold. I commute wearing a pair of Helly Hansen Southern Ocean-rated long johns under my jeans. I see people riding around in shorts.....barking mad IMVHO. I'm sticking with my £6 Lidl ski gloves until my palms get sweaty, thank you. I don't see the point of going fingerless unless you have a perverted desire to have your digits amputated due to frostbite.

Top Bottom