Too early for mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
After getting a thorough soaking on the way to work Thursday I'm considering refitting the guards to my equilibrium, but it's still only August!
It's not like the equi is some super sleek racing machine but it does make a difference to both the feel and noise (though the feel is probably placebo iih).
I do have a fairly simple option and that's to ride one of my steelies, a Raleigh pro race (which already has guards - and a carradice saddle bag on it but currently no pedals). I feel like a quitter "winterising" this early!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My commuter has mudguards on it all year round. I think @ianrauk says his records show it rains more in summer than winter

Slick

Guru
I suppose it depends where you live and what you are carrying and how. I have an equilibrium as well and whilst leave most of my clothes at work I still use my pannier to carry a laptop and the unmentionables.:shy:

Arrived at work, into the shower and on changing noticed for the first time that my socks and underwear were wet.:eek:

Poor quality pannier is probably a contributing factor but the full mudguard set put a stop to it. I still have the option of the carbon with rucksack on the dry days.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've always got mine on the touring/commuter bike. Keep everything off the bike, because you can run through worse things than water. Most of the trails in my area were old railroad lines, and have a great number of mulberry trees growing along them, as well.

fossala

Guru
I leave them on all year round. I wouldn't buy a bike that couldn't take mudguards, we live in the UK not California.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I leave them on the commuter all year round ^_^ The Roubaix has the Crud Roadracer mk3 Velcro bits attached so I can whip the guards on and off in a few minutes; they're still off at the moment though :laugh:

Top Bottom