too many £50 notes at 10pm

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by biggs682, 23 Aug 2012.

1. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

sold a bike last night and the buyer collects and pays for it with £50 notes , my first thought was to say go and get some real money , but not many banks or shops open that are going to take five of them of him in exchange for £10 & £20 notes .

i have no option but to take the money and payer at face value , but now having used 2 of them i feel a lot happier as cant get to bank to change them till saturday .

so apart from checking serial numbers and looking for the strip in them what other ways are there for checking £50 notes

2. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Veteran

Send them to me,if they are fake I will pass them on to the relevant authority without bringing your good name into it.

tyred likes this.
  3. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

They have much more obviously raised lettering than other notes :smile: Plus water mark of course

4. Stephen brown

Stephen brown Well-Known Member

The easiest fail safe method

Rub the note on a plain sheet of white paper, if the colour comes off they are real if it does not its moody

Works with notes of all denominations

Real ink used by the mint never dries, unlike photocopied notes

Archie_tect likes this.
  5. Drago

Drago Guru

Rub them VERY hard on a sheet of white paper. The ink in Bank of England notes never entirely dries and will leave a slight smear of colour on the paper.

Edit - we posted almost simultaneously there!

6. Stephen brown

Stephen brown Well-Known Member

lol, at least he knows we aren't joking

7. £50 notes have been around for goodness knows how long, but they always feel a bit well, dodgy.

8. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

You think that's bad? We still have £100 notes!

9. grumpyoldgit

grumpyoldgit Über Member

Forged £50's are unusual,as the originals can only come from banks,not ATM,or given in change.They are disliked by criminals,as possession is an almost certain nick.I use a lot of them in my business,yet to have a dud,had lots of £20's though.

10. Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

Ive never had a £50 note but ive seen plenty when cashing up over the years but never actually had one myself.

11. OP
    OP
    biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

used last 2 yesterday at local Argos young girls serving didnt blink an eye lid , so if anybody else has any spare £50 notes please forward them to nn8 5??

12. PBancroft

PBancroft Senior Member

Well bludgeon me with a mackerel. That actually works!

Mad Doug Biker likes this.

13. QUICK.........someone pass me a frozen Mackerel, I need to try summat...............:laugh:

Mad Doug Biker and coffeejo like this.
  14. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD Veteran

Well, he didn't specify fresh or frozen so go for it.

15. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Well you learn something new every day. Didn't know that about notes.

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice