Too much float?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
My yellow cleats have too much float.
Should I go for blue with only 2 degrees? I think I’d like to be fixed in place so it won’t feel sloppy sprinting.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I like yellow as I've duff ankles.

My 14yo likes blue as he can kick hard in races.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I like yellow as I've duff ankles.

My 14yo likes blue as he can kick hard in races.
That’s the thing, I may be good with blue but even better with red. They have to be in the perfect place for Red or risk damaging the knees.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use older Look with float. Without float it will fark your knees even if you've got them perfect. My knees can tell if float cleats aren't quite right, within a few pedal strokes. I've tried no float, it's not natural, and puts stress on your knee and ligaments.

I think the old Look Delta Red are about 4 degrees - no issues - it's more about tension for me.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Maybe I should go for Keo for the grip strips. Sometimes 50 m walks can be unavoidable.

I use yellow spd sl's and the similar float keo red as that is what works for me but when I did some track last year I used the grey keo's with less float and never had a problem. I might be wrong but I think if you have the perfect set up/phsiology then fixed actually does less damage to your knee but if your like the majority of us fixed will hurt your knees.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
No, don't go for Keo, the quality is terrible. Go for Shimano SPD-SL.
I got the blue Shimano SL.
After 5 years of SPD I can already feel the pedalling stroke much nicer. It’s the better stack height & wider platform. There’s no chance of my 10 stone weighted power flexing the E90 sole either.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been forced into them kind of for track and the power meterpedals on my tt bike but I wouldn't choose them ordinarily as I've seen a couple of Keo's fail (come away from the spindle), one time causing a nasty gash to a mates leg :wacko:

Exactly what happened to two pairs of mine.

Top Bottom