too windy for camping???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Camped for Hurricane Bertha in 2014. We made decision if tent ripped or poles bent we would pack car and go home.

Winds of 45 mph gusting 60 and it held up brilliantly.

Zimbob

Über Member
Tis but a breeze :smile:

We ended up camping in 100mph plus gusts on Skye one summer - in the morning our tent was the only one standing (as we'd stayed in it being on bikes, so the two of us weighted it down). Everyone else on site had de-camped to their cars, and all the tents were caught against the fence on the far side of the campground...

Couldn't recommend it though, twas a very uncomfortable night with the tent continually being flattened against us by the wind. And then I got covered in mud in the morning when I fell over after bracing myself against the wind, and entered the lee of the shower block :blush:

The wind has to. pretty strong before I bail out - I choose my tents due to what I perceive to be their stability in wind - if you choose your pitch with an eye on what shelter there is from the wind then most half decent tents should stay upright - the gorgeous pitch with the view of the sea is to me a no no unless the weather is very settled - I've camped in some very nasty gales in western Norway et.al. - only bailed out the once in over 700 days touring - in Croatia I was having difficulty keeping the bike upright while walking with it and there were literally old grannies being. blown off their feet and rolling down the road - the campsite was beautiful and located almost on the beach - but a little motel was definitely the best option

Top Bottom