Took delivery of my shiny new Brompton M8L today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Following this thread, I ended up buying a brand new M3L with the 8-speed conversion already done, hence me christening it the M8L.

m8l-1.jpg

Only had a chance for a quick test-ride so far, but first impressions are excellent. The range is exactly what I wanted, 1st gear (33 inches) giving a nice easy time for my knee on steeper climbs, and 8th gear (107 inches) enabling me to comfortably hit 30mph downhill. The twist-grip is perfect - same as I have on the trike, and definitely my preferred shifter.

m8l-2.jpg

The gaps between the gears are small except between 7 and 8, where there's a big jump, but that's fine - 8th will only be used downhill.

The reviews warned that the hub is a little noisy, especially in 4th and 6th, and this is indeed the case, but a small price to pay for the range and flexibility.

The 2013 model is nicer than my old 2005 one in several respects. Nothing here that will be news to anyone who bought in the last few years, but for the benefit of anyone else with an older Brommie ... The folding pedal now won't go past the upright position, so it can't hit the frame. The rear wheel locks into place (a quick release latch unlocks it), making it easier to lift the whole bike on and off trains at the cost of adding a second or two to the fold time. The rear suspension feels nicer, though that may of course simply be that it's new. I'm also not sure whether the finish on things like the handlebars is better or just again that it's new.

I just need to transfer across the Brompfication hinge plates and Easy wheels from my old bike before its new owner takes delivery.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Do be aware that you don't have to have the rear wheel locking into place!
Turn the rubber suspension bung round a bit and no more locking (till you turn it back).

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Thanks - I'm very pleased with it.

Doc, thanks - just been reading the manual and spotted that. The ease on & off trains more than makes up for the extra folding step, but good to know I have the choice.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Great looking bike and the 8 gears seems lovely. I have SRAM Dual Drive 24 on my Dahon Jetstream and love that and in comparison I think the Brompton 6 gear system is pretty lame and fiddly.

I might convert my Brompton to 8 spd like this one, or sell the bike altogether once I have finally paid it off as part of my work Cycle to Work scheme

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Having now done several of my usual routes on it, I can highly recommend it. The gearing range is perfect, and in real-life London riding the hub noise is inaudible other than in 4th.

Kies

How much did it cost for the 8 speed conversion and who did it for you?

Top Bottom