Took the dog for a walk today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Do you thank all the car drivers you meet for not killing you?

I do thank every driver who lets me in with a thumbs up.

I think mainly because of being in the car with me crazy dad and hearing him scream "Don't say thank you, you ******* ***** *****! Was your mother a whore?!" to all other drivers who don't say thanks!

You don't need to say thanks, but it's nice to and can really cheer up a person's day.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I wouldn't phrase it the same way as the OP, but I'm a dog-owner and a cyclist. When I'm out with the dog, I acknowledge / thank other road users as appropriate and when I'm on the bike, I do the same. A friend and I did a few miles on the Taunton canal path this afternoon and said a cheery 'thank you!' to everyone we met and in return received lots of hellos and other equally cheery comments, making for a pleasurable end to our ride.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
It is a shame that in our community we have someone with a distinct pavlovian reaction to the word dog. LYB get over yourself. Common courtesy, even to dog owners (gasp! shock! horror!), makes life easier for everyone. When I go to the shops, I say thank you to whoever served me. They're not going above and beyond, merely doing what they're supposed to, but it makes them feel better and I have to say, me too.When I'm out with my dog, I get him to sit and wait for passing cyclists and I like to hear people say thank you. When I'm out on my bike, I thank people who get their dogs to sit and wait. Basic good manners as far as I'm concerned.

Chris-H

Über Member
i always say ty and nod or both when someone lets me past or calls the dog to heel its like nervous tick nowadays ,

i bet i do it when its not required just out of habit in fact
+1
Manners cost nothing and if everyone was as friendly as those in agreement with the op then the world would be a happier place,unfortunately though there will always be those who feel they owe no-one anything,not even courtesy.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
It is a shame that in our community we have someone with a distinct pavlovian reaction to the word dog. LYB get over yourself. Common courtesy, even to dog owners (gasp! shock! horror!), makes life easier for everyone. When I go to the shops, I say thank you to whoever served me. They're not going above and beyond, merely doing what they're supposed to, but it makes them feel better and I have to say, me too.When I'm out with my dog, I get him to sit and wait for passing cyclists and I like to hear people say thank you. When I'm out on my bike, I thank people who get their dogs to sit and wait. Basic good manners as far as I'm concerned.

common courtesy? you mean controlling an animal so that it doesn't unsettle a cyclist or make a nuisance of its self? i'm assuming he had to make the dog heel because he was worried that the animal wouldn't become a nuisance. perhaps passing cyclists are not saying thanks because they are keeping an eye on a selfishly UNLEASHED animal in a public place.

the sheer arrogance of the op is stunning and selfish on so many levels.

common courtesy? you mean controlling an animal so that it doesn't unsettle a cyclist or make a nuisance of its self? i'm assuming he had to make the dog heel because he was worried that the animal wouldn't become a nuisance. perhaps passing cyclists are not saying thanks because they are keeping an eye on a selfishly UNLEASHED animal in a public place.

I wonder if you ever smile when you look in the mirror! Probably not, is my guess, but that's your choice, and if you can't be nice to yourself, then why should you be nice to others? :headshake:

david k

Hi

i get your point but theres still nothing wrong with a quick 'cheers mate'

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I wonder if you ever smile when you look in the mirror! Probably not, is my guess, but that's your choice, and if you can't be nice to yourself, then why should you be nice to others? :headshake:

eh? what's your point?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I say thanks to dog owners who control their dogs for me, drivers who don't overtake me where they shouldn't or who give way to me, people who don't let doors slam in my face and so on, even though they are only doing what I'd expect them to do.

OTOH if they don't do what I expect them to do, they do sometimes get a tongue-lashing! :whistle:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Not really understanding why all the anger and offence is necessary on the thread.

What's wrong with saying thanks as a natural response? Are we really that self-important that we're going to reserve it for special occasions?

sorry but did you understand the op? he EXPECTED to be thanked by all for keeping an UNLEASHED animal under control, in fact he ranted about it. i'm annoyed because i ride the l&l canal quite a bit and i know what a nuisance UNLEASHED dogs are and have been nearly unbalanced into the canal by dogs. WHY do you think idiots who have UNLEASHED animals should be thanked? i am totally exasperated, i really am, do you thank cars for stopping at pelican crossings? or for stopping at roundabouts?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

So sad. You totally miss the point. Let's subsitute dog with small child. Is your attuitude still the same? Bear in mind that the Leeds Liverpool Canal towpath is covered by the British Waterways code of conduct for cyclists which means that pedestrians always have priority so someone who waits for you to pass is actually going above and beyond too. As for calling a dog to heel, the owner is acting in a responsible manner to prevent an accident. I would also like to point out that by letting the dog off the lead in a safe environment like a towpath gives it a lot more stimulation and exercise than keeping it leashed. In just the same way that allowing cyclists to use towpaths gives them more stimulation and exercise. Both have the same valid reasons to use that route. Towpaths are not public places, they are private, owned by British waterways, and the public are allowed to use them providing they abide by the relvent codes of conduct and obtain the relevant permits where necessary.

Top Bottom