Took the dog for a walk today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Surly - I and many other polite people would have said thanks. Thank you. :smile:

Me too, and I did a few times whilst coming home along the TPT today.
Even stopped for a quick chat with a couple of dog walkers whose 2 dogs walked straight in front of the bike and then refused to move :biggrin:

yello

I think generally in life that if you expect thanks then you ought factor in also that you might be disappointed.

I do recall from my own canal walks (not even with a dog) that, generally speaking, cyclists rarely said thank you to me for moving aside. Joggers however invariably did. Just one of those things. I'd not loose sleep over it.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Driving_Dog.jpg

"Get in the f-ing cycle lane!"

Norm

Do you thank all the car drivers you meet for not killing you?
Plenty of them, yes. I'll always wave thanks at someone not pulling out in front of me, at someone waiting rather than overtaking before / on a bend or someone moving across so I can filter past them.

Conversely, the pratt who overtook this morning then stopped right in front of me to turn left must have crapped himself because I hammered on his window so hard. He didn't even realise that I had pulled alongside his door until I slapped the glass, so wrapped up in his own little world was he.

Dogs and kids always get priority. I nearly always stop for a chat, unless it's particularly busy. 10 seconds passing pleasantries costs little, hopefully makes the other person's day a little brighter and gives me a chance to take a breath.

Last month, a quick chat with a couple walking their dog started a 15 minute conversation with the others as they live not far from me and were incredulous that I was cycling 65 miles back from Wiltshire in one day. When I first said where I was heading, they asked where I would be stopping for the night. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I came up behind a couple of kids on horses last weekend when I was showing a friend some of the local bridle paths and off road jaunts. I had previously said to my friend that you should always try to speak to riders and their horses when approaching from behind, because of the possibility of spooking them. I called out to the riders that we were coming through. The response from two girls was most excellent, the lead rider making exactly the same point that I had about letting the horses know that we were there. It made for a pleasant encounter, of the sort that I wonder whether LYB would ever recognise.

OP
OP
S

SurlyNomad

LYB + BFB! wind ya neck in will ya! I never threatened anyone and didnt raise my voice to anyone. Is this not a forum where i can raise a point? an observation that i made? My dog was of the lead as previously stated as it is better exercise for him and within plenty of time before the cyclist got to us i called him to heel, and as he is such a well behaved dog does as he is told. I, LYB + BFB was brought up to respect others and treat them as i would like to be treated. would you both not feel better if someone just once in a while say thankyou to you. Does it not just give you that nice warm feeling inside or is your heart as cold as your manner! I pick up the dog crap not just so it dosnt get into your tyre tread but because i am responsible. Some of the cyclists and runners said thanks and i have more respect for them than those that dont. I was just looking at a walkers point of view of cyclists and runners. If ive upset people on here because i have a point of view I'm sorry but hey i havnt lost a cure for cancer and i wont lose sleep over it. So LYB and BFB youll get over it when the ice on your hearts has melted a little wich just may take some time.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Even stopped for a quick chat with a couple of dog walkers whose 2 dogs walked straight in front of the bike and then refused to move :biggrin:

That happens to me now and again on the commute. A dog owner will register my presence too late to bring Fido back under control. I just slow right down, and respond to their apology with a happy 'no worries'.

What's the point in upsetting someone over nothing?

Mind, the shared path I use on my commute is over the Town Moor in Newcastle, where the cows have priority.

Others are also stating their views.

I walk my dog more than I cycle. I call the dog to heel to avoid an incident. Dogs might not react to the cyclist but might chase something else despite mine being well trained and still might trigger an incident. I get the occasional thanks but most do not want to lose their momentum. I understand that.

My first prioty is to avoid an incident and put someone at risk. In essence its self-preservation. I am sure common sense suggest it is the same with you.

This I am sure is very different from other things that are not called for but is done out of the goodness of one's heart such as opening a door or giving way to someone.

LYB + BFB! wind ya neck in will ya! I never threatened anyone and didnt raise my voice to anyone. Is this not a forum where i can raise a point? an observation that i made? My dog was of the lead as previously stated as it is better exercise for him and within plenty of time before the cyclist got to us i called him to heel, and as he is such a well behaved dog does as he is told. I, LYB + BFB was brought up to respect others and treat them as i would like to be treated. would you both not feel better if someone just once in a while say thankyou to you. Does it not just give you that nice warm feeling inside or is your heart as cold as your manner! I pick up the dog crap not just so it dosnt get into your tyre tread but because i am responsible. Some of the cyclists and runners said thanks and i have more respect for them than those that dont. I was just looking at a walkers point of view of cyclists and runners. If ive upset people on here because i have a point of view I'm sorry but hey i havnt lost a cure for cancer and i wont lose sleep over it. So LYB and BFB youll get over it when the ice on your hearts has melted a little wich just may take some time.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
If you're going to be arsey, at least learn where the shift key is, old boy.

I must say, while there is a point that people don't deserve thanks for doing what they ought to (I actually try not to thank drivers who stop for zebras, because they should anyway, but often I raise a hand to wave thanks involuntarily), any parent knows that thanking children for doing what they are asked reinforces good behaviour. Also, it costs nothing - it's extremely rare that one is concentrating so hard that one can't spare the breath and brain power for a quick "Cheers!".

Also, pedestrians, anywhere, have priority. It might be annoying, but it's the bottom of a very important pyramid, which denies the idea that might is right, and I for one am thankful for it.

a. i'm not being arsy just putting my point of view across and b. i don't get what you mean by bolded bit.

Chris-H

Über Member
Plenty of them, yes. I'll always wave thanks at someone not pulling out in front of me, at someone waiting rather than overtaking before / on a bend or someone moving across so I can filter past them.

Conversely, the pratt who overtook this morning then stopped right in front of me to turn left must have crapped himself because I hammered on his window so hard. He didn't even realise that I had pulled alongside his door until I slapped the glass, so wrapped up in his own little world was he.

Dogs and kids always get priority. I nearly always stop for a chat, unless it's particularly busy. 10 seconds passing pleasantries costs little, hopefully makes the other person's day a little brighter and gives me a chance to take a breath.

Last month, a quick chat with a couple walking their dog started a 15 minute conversation with the others as they live not far from me and were incredulous that I was cycling 65 miles back from Wiltshire in one day. When I first said where I was heading, they asked where I would be stopping for the night. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I came up behind a couple of kids on horses last weekend when I was showing a friend some of the local bridle paths and off road jaunts. I had previously said to my friend that you should always try to speak to riders and their horses when approaching from behind, because of the possibility of spooking them. I called out to the riders that we were coming through. The response from two girls was most excellent, the lead rider making exactly the same point that I had about letting the horses know that we were there. It made for a pleasant encounter, of the sort that I wonder whether LYB would ever recognise.

Now there is one of those rare breed of people we rarely see these days,a genuine,friendly considerate,polite person that leaves just a slight impression on those he meets in every day life. Hats off to you Norm if only more people were the same :thumbsup:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

ironic post there. i've never said (nor anyone else) that you threatened anyone, i said you threatened to let your dog run loose and see what happens.

telling me to wind my neck in, sums you up perfectly. i'm not disagreeing with letting your dog loose or exercising it, i'm disagreeing with you ranting about arsy cyclists (your view not mine) not thanking you or kissing your arse for keeping an animal under control.

The fore mentioned cyclist may have been shitting themselves and keeping a close eye on the unleashed dog.

Arch

Married to Night Train
a. i'm not being arsy just putting my point of view across and b. i don't get what you mean by bolded bit.

I think your tone is very arsey, and I think the reaction of a lot of others suggests that they felt the same. You could equally have made your point less agressively.

The shift key is the one that lets you make capital letters.

Top Bottom