took up cycling.. lost 5 stone in 8 months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
So cool to read stuff like this :smile: I'm now 15st13 having been 17st5 last summer. Ive just cycled everywhere and sorted out my diet. My weight plateaued for a while but it's now steadily coming down.

I'm not really sure where my weight will stop, I'm 6ft 6 and don't want to be too beanpole! I need to work on my upper body somehow as I look like an athlete from the waist down and a slightly less fat b@£tard from the waist up!

Mainly tho cycling has got me almost entirely off of my anti anxiety meds (which were also causing weight gain), I'm just on a tiny dose which is the last stage.

Good luck all :smile:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
So cool to read stuff like this :smile: I'm now 15st13 having been 17st5 last summer. Ive just cycled everywhere and sorted out my diet. My weight plateaued for a while but it's now steadily coming down.

I'm not really sure where my weight will stop, I'm 6ft 6 and don't want to be too beanpole! I need to work on my upper body somehow as I look like an athlete from the waist down and a slightly less fat b@£tard from the waist up!

Mainly tho cycling has got me almost entirely off of my anti anxiety meds (which were also causing weight gain), I'm just on a tiny dose which is the last stage.

Good luck all :smile:

Well done dude

Kath

Regular
Hi everybody..just thought i would come on & tell all about my first year cycling regularly..

after buying a £500 ridley road bike, my partner bought me a turbo for last xmas.. to get me through the winter months to start with..

i couldn't do 15 mins on the turbo when i started, my belly would hardly let my knees do a full rotation.. i was sweating like an alco in an off license.. & i hated it !!!

eventually i started out on the road with a friend, discovered it was much easier when your actually cycling for real, did 6 miles my first night out & was really surprised..

over the next few months i did 3 nights on the trainer, never more than 45mins & had built up to 2hr 30 milers about 3 times a week. and strangely it wasn't a chore any more & vast amounts of sweat made me feel awesome !!

ate a sensible diet as well, cut out the crap, salads for lunch everyday..

i went from 18stone to 13 stone in 8 months & it changed my life.. had to buy a complete new wardrobe, or resort to clothes that are 5 years old i never got rid of !! lol

if your starting to cycle for weightloss, believe me it works !!!

& it's pretty good fun too.. :smile:

also i wanna say i know turbos are boring (well they are) & alot of people hate them, but they really improve fitness for when you go out on the road, plus it handy when its pishing.. lol

Hi kaiser

I was wondering if you could tell me what make of Turbo your partner bought you, I bought a hybrid road bike about 3 months past and would have liked to get a turbo but i havent a clue and as you appear to be using one i thought i would ask.

Kath

Seigi

Very well done! I've been in a similar situation myself, I started the 'lifestyle change' in March of this year and started cycling proper in May time, I've thus far lost 40Kg (just over 6 stone) since the last time I weighed in (about a week or so ago), funnily today I just found a picture which I thought was lost which I took on March 30th (30 days after starting my lifestyle change) and I can really see the difference, I took it when wearing only underwear (so you can see how I was (embarrassingly, looking at it, I had some bellybutton lint ;D)), I'm debating whether or not to share it on here (maybe not this post specifically, maybe in a blog post) or not, I just need to get someone to take a picture of how I am now.

Anyway, very well done, you'll no doubt get funny looks from people who you've not seen in the past year (old school colleagues/friends), like I did.

Well done!! I started at 17st 2lb in August and am now at 14st 9lb if I can get down to about 13st 7lb I will be into the correct weight for height band for the first time ever:blush:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done all of you who have lost a lot of weight through cycling! I've done it in the past, but haven't really got to grips with it since I got fat again in 2007-8. I've just watched the video of my stepdaughter's wedding and was pretty unhappy with how I looked walking her up the aisle so I am going to make a proper effort once we've got the holiday season over and done with.

swampyseifer

You are a hell of inspiration :smile: amazing

Couldnt say it better myself...I took up the bike to help loose weight (already lost 5 stone but seriously need to lose like another 5!), didnt expect much but reading gb155's blog opened my eyes to what can be acheived though effort and determination.

Well done to OP as well! Biking is certainly a good way to go, not only do you get exercise but it allows you to appreciate a journey in a way that driving a car doesnt!

Chrisc

Guru
Well done indeed. I only had a couple of stone to lose but was amazed at how it fell off me once I got into cycling.
Other benefits have been the massive increase in fitness, general wellbeing and an unexpected but welcome reversal of my longstanding cholesterol problem. The doc who has been treating me for years was staggered at my last test results, especially as he previously considered exercise to be of limited use in affecting cholesterol levels.
It's great when something so enjoyable turns out to be so beneficial. Not much of it about.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Reading this has inspired me as last year I was just lazy and did very little - resulting in my weight ballooning up again. I am now determined to lose it through cycling this year and aim to shed at least 2 stones.

A question for the guys/gals who have done so well - what did you do in terms of frequency/distance/intensity to lose it all?

Well done again.

Bayerd

Über Member
Reading this has inspired me as last year I was just lazy and did very little - resulting in my weight ballooning up again. I am now determined to lose it through cycling this year and aim to shed at least 2 stones.

A question for the guys/gals who have done so well - what did you do in terms of frequency/distance/intensity to lose it all?

Well done again.

I did it by cycling 10 miles first thing at least 5 times a week with the odd longer ride when I had the time. The main thing I've found is that I needed to be really disciplined to go out in all weathers. Things have slipped a little for me over the last few months, it's been a combination of not getting out on the bike as often and enjoying too many beers at the weekend.

I'm going to make a concerted effort again, and will be happy if I can shed about 3/4 of a stone over the next 2 months or so.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I did it by cycling 10 miles first thing at least 5 times a week with the odd longer ride when I had the time. The main thing I've found is that I needed to be really disciplined to go out in all weathers. Things have slipped a little for me over the last few months, it's been a combination of not getting out on the bike as often and enjoying too many beers at the weekend.

I'm going to make a concerted effort again, and will be happy if I can shed about 3/4 of a stone over the next 2 months or so.

Thanks for that - what kind of intensity did you do your 10 miles at? Moderate or were you really going for it?

I take your point about weather. I am listening to the wind and rain batter the window as I type and I cannot think of a fate worse than doing 10 miles in that!! :angry:

Top Bottom