Tool advice/recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have a small bike torque wrench (non-click) that goes up to 6Nm for little things like stems, but I already had a couple of automotive torque wrenches for bigger things. Some torque values are fairly useless as the part needs an open-ended spanner and a special tool to install it (cassette lockrings). Others need special spanners (threaded headsets, fixed gear lockrings, traditional bottom brackets) which don't lend themselves to torque wrench use at all. I think the official torque for a driveside Italian BB cup is "as much as possible", anyway.

Have never yet done anything big to my Hewitt which has an external bearing BB (I would have specced square taper if I'd been more educated) - I note that the cranks have a clearly marked (as opposed to in a smallprint manual) torque setting marked on them - am a bit concerned as i can be rather ham fisted - do folks think I need a torque wrench for that?
(Have never felt the need for one on the rest of my bikes - all steel - I follow saddlesore's system/guidance on their bits.

C R

Guru
Most external BB tools use a 32mm headset spanner, or have their own handle - with either of those, my above applies. Just don't use a 32mm socket with some massive I/2" drive extension bar.
My square taper and cassette lockring tools match a 1/2 inch socket, which the 40Nm torque wrenches tend to be.

PpPete

Legendary Member

kennycl

Regular
Other option in all this is just a normal torque wrench with hex bits. I have a Teng one which goes 5-25 Nm (and then a bigger one!). Get's used on all sorts, not just the bike and comes calibrated. If you look after it and unscrew it before storing it should last forever...

Top Bottom