Tool kit to carry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I love my Topeak Alien multi tool. That, a spare tube, a pump, a little patch kit and that's all I need. The pump goes on the bike down tube. Everything else is in a small saddle bag.

gsBlO3aAHOm_SKKH8WUSD0ZLvhJbBMOCpW0KObaCQbIwMIDMgA.jpg

SheilaH

Obviously the better you maintain your bike the less likelihood there is that you will need any tools, or in some cases a puncture kit.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Obviously the better you maintain your bike the less likelihood there is that you will need any tools, or in some cases a puncture kit.
indeed although mates bike had to have some mid ride fettling yesterday although he had just had it serviced the chain was falling off the lower jockey wheel when changing gear !

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I went on a long ride once and when I was a couple of miles from home on the way back realised I'd left my mini pump and saddlepack in the garage. I'd done about seventy miles in blissful ignorance and then spent the last two worried sick in case something went wrong.

gom

Über Member
1614603570478.png

Has anyone actually used this topeak tool to split a chain? First time I tried the allen key head in the "tyre lever" just spun in the plastic. I need to carry another 4mm allen key.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I went on a long ride once and when I was a couple of miles from home on the way back realised I'd left my mini pump and saddlepack in the garage. I'd done about seventy miles in blissful ignorance and then spent the last two worried sick in case something went wrong.
Even worse, Joe, when as I did, you get 30 miles out and then realise there no saddlebag there (had been removed for cleaning), and know it's 25 miles minimum back. I had my pump on the frame. Tried to find a bike shop in the next town (for patches/tube and a set of levers) but couldn't and was under time pressure. Was an unnecessary stress for the rest of the ride.

gom

Über Member
then realise there no saddlebag there
Done similar. Is it better/worse when you have done 20+ hilly miles and find you have forgotten all money or other means of paying, meaning no café stop? I had to survive on one boiled sweet to get home (luckily flatter option possible).

I think I might be odd in that I don't carry a multi-tool, nor have I ever needed one. I ride mostly carbon bikes and adopt a minimalist approach to what I carry. I have a tiny pump, a spare tube, some self-adhesive patches (for the second puncture) two Park Tools tyre levers, a CO2 pump, a spare quick link (12, 11speed in the summer kit; 10 and 9 speed in the winter one) a Park Tools chain cracker and that is it. I do use one of those little T-shaped torque wrenches for mechanical work at home. I do almost all my own maintenance, and work on the basis that if it is put together right it will stay together. I don't use stuff that is only along for the ride to cause trouble - like mudguards for example.

si_c

Guru
I think I might be odd in that I don't carry a multi-tool, nor have I ever needed one. I ride mostly carbon bikes and adopt a minimalist approach to what I carry. I have a tiny pump, a spare tube, some self-adhesive patches (for the second puncture) two Park Tools tyre levers, a CO2 pump, a spare quick link (12, 11speed in the summer kit; 10 and 9 speed in the winter one) a Park Tools chain cracker and that is it. I do use one of those little T-shaped torque wrenches for mechanical work at home. I do almost all my own maintenance, and work on the basis that if it is put together right it will stay together. I don't use stuff that is only along for the ride to cause trouble - like mudguards for example.
Broadly the same feeling, keep all my bikes as well maintained as I can, used to carry as much as possible with me, now just carry what I feel is likely to be an issue on a ride. Mudguards don't cause problems though when properly fitted.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don't carry a multi-tool, nor have I ever needed one.
I don't carry a multi-tool either, but I do carry specific allen keys and a very small screwdriver. And a chain tool and quick link like you. Surprised you carry the chain tool. Do you think the risk of your chain parting is greater than a bolt needing an allen key?
I guess if I was only riding a short distance (ie less than 4 hours) I could leave those behind. But then my ability to help others would be minimal.

The quick links and chain tool have only ever been used by other people. Compared to the weight and bulk of a multi-tool they are not difficult to pack. I get everything into one of those Vittoria bottle-cage zip-up cases.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Exactly what I carry
me too, recently converted from wedgy saddle bag to a bottle roll. You don't half notice the extra weight you are carrying if you switch between bikes (as your transferring it, onto on the bike, I don't think I noticed so much when swapping pumps and bits between saddle bags.
Add in a bottle a water and any gram shaving on components seems a little churlish!

kenmiles

me too, recently converted from wedgy saddle bag to a bottle roll. You don't half notice the extra weight you are carrying if you switch between bikes (as your transferring it, onto on the bike, I don't think I noticed so much when swapping pumps and bits between saddle bags.
Add in a bottle a water and any gram shaving on components seems a little churlish!
I had the Giant tool bag for the integrated saddle.
Last week I was out on a ride and never noticed until I got home that it fell off. I am glad I did not notice it was missing as I would have been stressed all the way home.
Now gone. back to the Topeak with strap fitting.

cyclintom

I don't think you need a torque wrench to take on the road. It's just about having sufficient to get you home. Save your money and buy a workshop one, if you feel the need for one at all.

Any good quality multitool will suffice. Avoid cheap, likely to be made of cheese. I'd recommend including a chain splitter and a torx tool. Park and Topeak have been good for me.
I especially recommend Park Tools which have been improving over the years from cheap junk to shop grade tools. I think in 40 years of cycling that I broke a chain only once or twice and it was my own fault for re-inserting a used pin on one occasion and on the other I had multiple quick links in trying to use an old (well new) chain that was too short and adding three links. Some of these quick links are virtually impossible to seat properly. The best ones are the those with a kink in the seating slot. I now use a set of common combination pliers held crookedly across the ends of the link to seat and remove these things.

Perhaps if you're a mountain biker you might stress chains more than a road rider would. On MTB's I found that my legs gave out long before the chain. The Tool Kit by si_c above looks ideal and that is identical to what I carry. Though since I'm riding on California roads I carry two tubes besides the skabs. And two CO2 cannisters.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A good multi tool. They are worth the slightly extra cost. Mine has split chains and adjusted spokes on the road in the many years I've had it (Crank Bros Multi 17).

The tool pouches are dirt cheap from Planet X - bear in mind there is postage, so order a few items.

Top Bottom