Tools for old bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
GrahamNR17 said:
Oh :ohmy: Am I breaking any rules then? I don't want to ruffle any feathers :biggrin:

Hi Graham, you certainly haven't ruffled my feathers; Peanut & I suggested that there could be a small (sub)section tucked away on the forum - for those with an interest in older bikes/cycling history etc.

Following this : http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3345&highlight=rory+o'brien

and especially this : http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=45647&highlight=rory+o'brien

some of us tried to get a small (sub) section going - as 'discussed' here -
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=47536&highlight=pubrunner

Sadly, we were unsuccessful; at least we tried and if you don't at least try then you are bound to fail. Sadly, the naysayers won the day; more sadly (in my opinion), the forum lost a good member in Peanut - a guy with a considerable knowledge about bikes. Furthermore, (to his credit) he freely shared his knowledge.

So for 'Vintage & Classics/older bikes/cycling history/info. on frame makers etc, I usually go over to Retro Bike, the CTC Forum or Bike Radar.

Many on this forum would rather discuss Politics/media events - in fact a considerable range of non-cycling subjects. All of these in preference to 'Vintage & Classics' etc. Check out the number of postings in the Cafe & Politics sections; obviously all very 'worthy' stuff to some - but rarely are they about cycling.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
pubrunner said:
Sadly, we were unsuccessful; more sadly (in my opinion), the forum lost a good member in Peanut

i'm with you that this place could do with an old bike section, but where would the cut-off point be? 1939, 1966, 1982, 1999? it's unclear to me where retro bike's cut-off is, but it seems to be more recent than i'd personally have had for a place by that name

as for peanut, he got obnoxious, got some posts deleted and went off in a huff, same as he did from ctc. a reasonable chap wouldn't leave a forum because it wouldn't open another bit especially for his interest...you haven't for example:smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'm another that was very sad that what seemed a perfectly sensible suggestion became the subject of so much invective and ill-feeling.

However - please let us not re-open that debate, especially not in Know How.

- and sorry I can't help with any old tools (just to return to the OP)

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

porkypete said:
However - please let us not re-open that debate, especially not in Know How.
Agreed :ohmy:

It's really no bother, I'll find another forum to join for the bulk of my vintage activities, and hang around here for the modern bike and more general stuff :smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
GrahamNR17 said:
Agreed :ohmy:

It's really no bother, I'll find another forum to join for the bulk of my vintage activities, and hang around here for the modern bike and more general stuff :smile:

It's a shame that you should feel that way:sad:; but that said, that's exactly what I've done ! See you on the Retro Bike, CTC & Bike Radar sites then.

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

pubrunner said:
It's a shame that you should feel that way:sad:; but that said, that's exactly what I've done ! See you on the Retro Bike, CTC & Bike Radar sites then.
I just don't want to introduce topics that the majority don't want to see, that's all :smile: It's nice here with some good people and I don't want to spoil it :ohmy: This is actually my favourite forum of all those I visit, regardless of subject matter.

Looked at Retro Bike, looks interesting but seems to be for vintage-ish road bikes and MTBs, where I'm more into old roadsters. But I'll poke my face in the door and see what occurs :laugh: Also going to join Raleigh Bikes fans forum at http://www.raleighbikes.com as they have a vintage section and two of my bike so far are Raleigh/Raleigh-built. Already in the CTC forum, but not very active so far.

We really are spoiled for good cycling forums though, aren't we? It's great that cycling has such a good following in these days of motorised-everything.

PpPete

Legendary Member
GrahamNR17 said:
It's nice here with some good people and I don't want to spoil it :smile: This is actually my favourite forum of all those I visit, regardless of subject matter.

CC is my favorite too, and I don't think anyone risks spoiling it by asking qeustions (or answering) about older bikes in the Know How section.

Questions about which sections or subsections we want belong elsewhere.

My life is too short to spend time arguing the toss in P&L (or looking on Retrobike for that matter!)

Top Bottom