Top Tip for Cleaning Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I admit I am very anal about keeping my kit clean, especially my club kit. I like to feel good on my bike and having cared for, clean kit is important to me.

Today on a very dirty road we passed a farm and one of my so called "friends" had a broken mudguard. My winter top was badly spattered on both arms from shoulder to wrist with oily muddy water. I was also wearing a gilet so that took the brunt of it on my chest.

When I got home I tried all my usual tricks to clean the arms to no avail. In desperation I got out my citrus degreaser, carefully dabbed at the spots (no rubbing) and after 2-3 minutes washed the degreaser off with large amounts of cold running water. Then got Ariel non-bio liquid and rubbed this up and down the sleeves with the palm of my hand. Second thorough rinse. Chucked the jacket in the washing machine on a rinse cycle. BINGO!! Came up like new.

I think the key is to use a fully biodegradable degreaser and only leave it on for a very short time.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I'm usually happy if it doesn't smell too bad. Good work!

Will Spin

Über Member
Yes citrus degreaser works for me too. I've been out for several very muddy rides recently and despite full mudguards still end up from time to time with a facefull, especially when out with the club as there's always someone with no/inadequate mudguards. I've been wondering if it's a health hazard as I've felt v unwell this week after my last outing.

mgs315

Reminds me of when I was a kid about 20 years back. Helped my dad do an oil change on the Ford Sierra but he couldn’t be arsed to jack it up so had me (who could just about slide under the car while it was sitting on its wheels) get under the car with an oil pan and start draining the old oil. Alas I somehow got covered. I was wearing my new traccy bottoms at the time..

Not a problem, he had 25l of dry cleaning fluid in the garage. Said hold still and shut me eyes. Covered my lower half in the stuff. Worked a treat!

So yeah, dry cleaning will work too if you’ve got a nutter of a Dad and cheap access to the fluid..

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What citrus degreaser do you use?

At the moment I have Bike Hut, Halfords, but have used others, not on clothing but on the bike, in the past.

I haven’t noticed any difference in performance but I am convinced a biodegradable degreaser makes cycle cleaning more effective and easier. I initially chose a degradable one for environmental reasons plus I didn’t want to cover our back street in oily residue and upset the neighbours.

Top Bottom