Top tips for winter riding

I'm writing an article for a magazine. Something fluffy to encourage people onto their bikes. I need a Top Five Winter Tips, urgently. Any sensible suggestions? Bear in mind that this is aimed at 'civilians' not the gnarly hardcore who do century rides in nowt but a vest, whatever the weather.
Ta.
:evil:Chuffy
 

domtyler

Über Member
You only need to mention the amount of casual sex we all get now we are cycling!
 

Bigtallfatbloke

New Member
Get the right clothes for the job

Eat well before the ride & carry water

Make sure the bike is safe

Carry lights even in the day time and use them in low light conditions

Be seen...wear high vis

Be aware of local weather forcast before setting off

Take a mobile phone



Cycle with a partner if possible (it's more fun in the event of hypothermia)

Call home before arrival and have the family make soup and a hot water bottle
 

domtyler

Über Member
Chuffy said:
This is the County Council's residents magazine! I'm not sure that casual sex is allowed.
Er, I think you will find that they are positively crying out for it my good man! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)
 
Chuffy said:
I'm writing an article for a magazine. Something fluffy to encourage people onto their bikes. I need a Top Five Winter Tips, urgently. Any sensible suggestions? Bear in mind that this is aimed at 'civilians' not the gnarly hardcore who do century rides in nowt but a vest, whatever the weather.
Ta.
:evil:Chuffy
Well, that rules me out! :rolleyes:

But, why not a club/family trip to Majorca or Lanzarote (Club La Santa) as a way to beat the winter blues (for a week or two).
 

Peyote

New Member
Don't worry about proper cycling clothes, but make sure you're hands and feet are well protected, they're the only bits that don't move enough to keep themselves warm...

...so basically, wear warm socks and gloves!
 

Bigtallfatbloke

New Member
When I started riding I was knackered...and I mean KNACKERED. This I feel is the biggest fear of a novice rider. In a car there is no effort needed and you jus tre fill the tank at a petrol station. I had not made th elink in my head between petrol and food/ car & bike, it never entered my head that food was my petrol..I read that on here. As soon as th epenny dropped and I started eating the right stuff I became less Knackered. I think new riders might be interested in a quick rundaown on the types of foods to eat, the need to keep hydrated etc
 
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Dayvo said:
Well, that rules me out! :rolleyes:

But, why not a club/family trip to Majorca or Lanzarote (Club La Santa) as a way to beat the winter blues (for a week or two).
Ah.....
I'm thinking more of people who regard the iron horse in their garage with trepidation and fear. Not club whippets trying to shave 1/10th off their best 10 mile TT time.....

So far I have:-

· Stay warm! Riding will keep your legs and body warm but your extremities can still get a nasty nip on frosty days. Thick socks and a pair of gloves will do the trick. You might want a hat too for your ears.
· Check your lights. As the evenings draw in it’s easy to get caught out. Take lights with you and make sure the batteries are ok.
· Go carefully. Watch out for slippery piles of leaves and frosty manhole covers.
· Stay dry. Cycling while soaked is no fun, so carry a lightweight waterproof with you just in case.
· As always, make sure you have a pump and either a puncture repair kit or a spare inner tube with you. If you’re not sure how to use them, your local bike shop will be happy to show you.

Doesn't seem very inspired, so all suggestions gratefully received.
 
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:
it never entered my head that food was my petrol..I read that on here. As soon as th epenny dropped and I started eating the right stuff I became less Knackered. I think new riders might be interested in a quick rundaown on the types of foods to eat, the need to keep hydrated etc
I always mention cake and tea in these articles...:rolleyes:
 
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
User76 said:
If it's aimed at encouraging commuting etc, suggest they use the park and ride sites around Exeter, then cycle in from there.

Suggest they do not ride if it's icy or snowy, but stay in bed and phone in sick:biggrin:

Wear some appropriate headgear, cold ears make me really grumpy:angry:
Warm head gear, check.
Haven't done a commuter special yet, but that's a good idea. There's a new route opening up from Exmouth to Exeter early next year, I might tie that into a commuting special. The current piece is more leisure and shopping orientated than that, but from little acorns....
 
Top Bottom