Top tips for winter riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Layer your garments so that you can control your temperature as you warm up. Avoid cotton if possible and wear wicking fabrics next to the skin followed by a thermal layer or two and then a wind proof outer shell garment. Dont over insulate your legs theyre the warmest part of your body when you are peddling.

Staying comfortably warm is more important than staying dry.

In very cold conditions it becomes important to keep ankles and wrists warm, blood vessels are close to the surface and you can suffer substantial heat losses if these joints are left exposed.

A peaked hat or helmet can protect the eyes and/or glasses from rain.

Tungsten studded ice tyres are available from various manufacturers including IRC and Nokian. They is wicked.

mickle said:
Tungsten studded ice tyres are available from various manufacturers including IRC and Nokian. They is wicked.

I think Chuffy is just writing something designed to convince fairly average bods that they can cycle when there's an "R" in the month.

Advice along the lines of "when you break your femur, improvise traction by using a passing tractor and some fence wire" might put them off.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Patrick Stevens said:
I think Chuffy is just writing something designed to convince fairly average bods that they can cycle when there's an "R" in the month.
It's even fluffier than that Patrick. The gist of the current piece is that you can reward yourself for your 2.5 miles (5 miles round trip) of flat cycle path with shopping plus cake. One day I'll write the ultimate cycling novel, but right now I'm turning tricks for the Sustrans Man like the dirty ho' that I am.:rolleyes:

redshift

Über Member
Berghaus beanie. £9.99 of thermal goodness to keep your noggin toasty. Glubs are better with windproof outers, waterproof too if you're out in the wet.

Top Bottom