Top tips for winter riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Very useful advice to novices is when NOT to go riding..
Too wet, windy or cold. Any of these when youre not used to it is enough to kill the desire EVER to go out again on a bike.
Theres a good time to use the car...theres a good time to use the bike.

A skullcap, woolyhat or similar, and gloves.

A pair of 'safety' glasses. Buy Bolle Vipers or similar at £4 or £5 a pair...no streaming eyes in the icy winds. They make a world of difference.

Chuffy! Don't know if it's plagiarism (otherwise just swop the words round a bit :rolleyes:) but have a look at these:

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreation/wintercycling.htm

http://www.nhoutdoors.com/winter_cycling.htm

http://www.icebike.org/Articles/Ottawa.htm

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Ah.....
I'm thinking more of people who regard the iron horse in their garage with trepidation and fear. Not club whippets trying to shave 1/10th off their best 10 mile TT time.....

Most novice cyclists probably haven't got an iron horse.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I'd say if its aimed at the casual cyclist (like wot I is). Thinsulate hat and gloves, gloves with weatherproof (nylon ?) outer. A warm ZIPPED jacket with a high collar that you can possibly dip your nose and mouth in for protection (saves breathing that freezing cold air first thing).
Reason for the zipped jacket is that as you start moving you will warm up so you can undo the zip a bit / lot to get the right body temperature. Maybe a snood.

My original waterproofs were bought from an industrial clothing suppliers, Jacket and trousers for £9, 10 yrs ago (still got them), about £15-£17 now, okay they are PVC lined but it's better than nowt when it's pishing down and cheap enough to keep a casual cyclist going.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Chuffy said:
The current piece is more leisure and shopping orientated than that, but from little acorns....

What about suggesting where to put that shopping... ie not one bag on each handlebar, that some combination of rucsac, basket or panniers to carry their bits and bobs in, to suit their needs. And that they can beat the queues for car-parking and trying to leave those shopping centres.

How about; don't try and squeeze between lorries, buses and kerbs - be patient.
Try not to find yourself behind a bus where the driver can't see you and you get a dose of diesel exhaust belching from the 'pipe' when the bus moves off...
Be patient. Don't cycle in the gutter. Smile rather than shout - it upsets people more - and shows you're patient. (Even if the plonker deserves a clout).

Wearing eye protection is a good idea, but glasses can steam up when you come to a halt, leaving you helpless at junctions. When slowing down to a stop, pull your glasses down your nose. This will reduce the misting by increasing the distance between the glass and your face and give you the option of looking over them. When you cycle away, just push them back.

Bigtallfatbloke

On the issue of steaming glasses...scuba divers spit in their masks (to stop them steaming up) and rub it around the glass then rinse it out. It works well on a scuba mask...I am going to test it on my glasses tomorrow, but i suspect it will work ok as well.

More useless tips from BTFB:

Heated gloves sound good even though I dont own a pair

Join Cyclechat for some support

be not embarrassed by what you look like

Tell the world what you are going to do...that way you cannot back out easily

Test your brakes at the TOP of a the hill

be aware that by taking up cycling there is a serious risk that you will lose weight and get fit

...you have crossed from the dark side, the force will be with you

...actually to be honest I am glad i took up cycling in the summer and not in the winter...I am not sure I could get through the winter if I were in the same shape I was at the start of this year.

Warn them that cycling improves heart function and circulation and increases libido substantially. Tell them to check that partner will be willing to put up with substantial increase in sexual activity. Also check with spouse.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Patrick Stevens said:
Warn them that cycling improves heart function and circulation and increases libido substantially. Tell them to check that partner will be willing to put up with substantial increase in sexual activity. Also check with spouse.

Does one actually need a spouse for increased sexual activity?:rolleyes:

Tetedelacourse

Check the bike is in good working order.
Dress warmly.
Go with someone who is likely to be of similar fitness to you.
Eat and drink plenty.
Plan your route for max. enjoyment, including estimating time to complete - then hit them with a few suggestions for routes of differing distance.

Top Bottom