Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Most of the tips have been covered, but for evening clothes, roll them up tight rather than fold them, they will stay without creases.
Carry a chain extractor and crank extractor and a small shifting spanner. Leave your cables long rather than cutting them short, wind them into a loop and if they snap (which has happened to me) you can tie them at the break, this will give you most of the gears untill you can find a bike shop.
http://pawild.net/alanherper

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Always try the local produce. This works well in Burgundy, Bordeaux, Alsace, the Rhone valley and many other scenic areas.
I like to try as much of it as possible.:biggrin:
This can make for a somewhat slow start the following day.:biggrin:

PBancroft

TheDoctor said:
Always try the local produce. This works well in Burgundy, Bordeaux, Alsace, the Rhone valley and many other scenic areas.
I like to try as much of it as possible.:evil:
This can make for a somewhat slow start the following day.;)

Actually, I would argue that this is a good idea regardless of where you are or what you are doing. Ignoring alcohol (just for a second) local meat, fruit, veg, general foodstuff, entertainment etc., is worth SO much more than just spending your time doing something you could do anywhere else in the world.

And back to the booze, when I go somewhere new, I like to try the local ale. Usually very yum.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
rickangus said:
Of all people my mother-in-law once said something sensible - that woollen garments will squash down into a smaller space when packing than cotton ones of a similar size.

Don't know how useful that is for this forum but I think there's an element of truth in it - and you probably have no idea how difficult it is to say something positive about that old bag.

Priceless!:tongue::biggrin:

Milo

Guru
Dont be intimidated by the prospect of wild camping ask permission of land owner if necessary.
Just make sure you pitch at dusk and aim to leave before 7 and leave no mess.
ps avoid camping in pine forests you will be eaten alive and feel like your in a horror film once the sun goes away

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Get a mtb. The 2inch tyres, suspension and low gearing will give you a much more comfortable and safer ride. The traditional tourer with thin wheels and tyres are largely becoming obsolete with the state of roads across Europe. Also have a no 1 haircut. You will save a lot on shampoo and will feel a lot cooler. Take a tarpaulin instead of a tent for shelter and don't bother with camp sites especially at weekends as they get very rowdy.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ludwig said:
Get a mtb. The 2inch tyres, suspension and low gearing will give you a much more comfortable and safer ride. The traditional tourer with thin wheels and tyres are largely becoming obsolete with the state of roads across Europe. Also have a no 1 haircut. You will save a lot on shampoo and will feel a lot cooler. Take a tarpaulin instead of a tent for shelter and don't bother with camp sites especially at weekends as they get very rowdy.

Last time I rode in the Alps the road surface was a lot better than here - same goes for all over France. And as for kipping under a tarp in a field...WTF? The no 1 cut sounds good till you get sunburn on teh tops of your ears. Not nice.

Milo

Guru
always bring a stack of kendel best energy bar in the world can be hard to find sometimes though.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ludwig said:

Oh, and don't forget your hair shirt and the birch twigs to give yourself a good thrashing!;)

spindrift

Blimey, when I'm on a tour I'm on holiday, it's not an endurance test!

A sharp knife means as soon as you get to a grocers you can stock up and do doorstep cheese sandwiches with salady bits in. If you see a nice cafe, stop and take a look, you can eat what you like remember!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Take your time. Enjoy the scenery, the new sights,the sounds, smells, tastes and textures. Whatever is driving you onwards, enjoy it, revel in it. It's not so much where you're going, as how you get there. And you have no way of knowing how long the journey will be, and when it might be curtailed.

Sorry to sound all philosophical - I heard something earlier on that really affected me, and made me realise again how precious and fleeting all of this really is. Smell the flowers, people.

ASC1951

Guru
miloat said:
always bring a stack of kendel best energy bar in the world can be hard to find sometimes though.

Kendal Mint Cake? It's hard to find because times have moved on since 1950s in the Lake District. It's just sugar, and chemical tasting sugar at that, definitely not what you want when you're touring. What's wrong with actual food?

Top Bottom