Topeak Rack Qs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

kovacsa

My Trek mtb with beam rack and trunk bag fitted, used them for years, great kit.
View attachment 468998
The rack looks quite high on the bike. I've heard lower is better for stability and centre of gravity purposes. How is the bag working out for you?

gasinayr

Über Member
The rack looks quite high on the bike. I've heard lower is better for stability and centre of gravity purposes. How is the bag working out for you?
The rack is fitted at top of seat tube so cant go any lower, no problem with it in this position. don't carry any heavy things in it anyway just spare tubes, some tools waterproof jacket and lock.

gasinayr

Über Member
Halfords were doing a deal on Topeak goods, buy two get one free. don't know if it's still running. I bought a rack and trunk bag for my wife's bike and got seat mount tool kit bag free. ( £35.00 )

Crankarm

Guru
I've couple of Topeak beam racks. Great idea in principle but always find that when loaded they eventually they slip sideways when you are riding which means they make contact with the rear wheel meaning you have to stop and re-secure from time to time. Have used one on my Brompton with varying degrees of success. A few years ago when I was looking for a new rear rack I looked at the Topeak Tourist DX iirc, the top range one. Got it home and tried it against my bike but it was just far too high so returned it to Halfords. I didn't think the bracing was that great on them but never used one for real so might be wrong. Instead I bought a Madison Summit rear rack which has proved to be a fantastic very strong, very stiff with good bracing, durable and light rear rack. So much so that I bought replacements for my other bikes. So much better than the crappy Blackburn racks that I had previously which all broke.

Again Topeak's idea of collapsible side panniers seems good in principle but I wonder how long before they start letting in a lot of water? Plus they seem a bit of a faff. Ortlieb panniers are far better.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Again Topeak's idea of collapsible side panniers seems good in principle but I wonder how long before they start letting in a lot of water? Plus they seem a bit of a faff. Ortlieb panniers are far better.

They've thought of that,
Topeak%20Rain%20cover%20MTX%20DXP.jpg

But yep Ortliebs are better but much more expensive. (as are Carradice)

Top Bottom