Torque wrench for a stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
If looking to lower the stem on my bike down the steerer, should I be sure to use a torque wrench, as opposed to tightening solely via an Allen key?

Yes you should be using a torque wrench to tighten the stem onto the steerer but just an allen key to adjust the headset. I suggest you Youtube how to adjust a threadless headset.

davidphilips

Veteran
Just checking that if its an ahead (threadless) that you have and it has a carbon steering tube, if so you really have to ask some one like yellowsaddle for advice and not just move it yourself.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
On an Aluminium steerer and stem it's a good idea but not the end of the world if you dont. I wouldn't be happy adjusting a carbon stem, or one on a carbon steerer

davidphilips

Veteran
Aluminium stem, threadless carbon steerer - I'll hold off until having ordered a torque wrench

Dont move it your self if theres a carbon steering tube unless you are %100 certain, if the stem is clamped onto a carbon tube make sure your stem clamps only to the part of the steerer which contains the bung or the tube may fail.

Top Bottom