1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by giant man, 11 Jul 2007.

1. giant man

giant man New Member

Hi I'm after a decent torque wrench and wondering if it's worth spending on a Park model or would another make do just a good a job, the Park ones are expensive but are they worth it? Thanks chaps.

2. chris42

chris42 New Member

I have 2 park wrenches. The small one for bars etc and the bigger one for pedals & cranks.
    very good bits of kit.

3. giant man

giant man New Member

So i take it they are both the 'beam' type? Isn't there anything a bit more 'high tech' or is this kind of wrench the de facto standard in torque wrenches? They just look a bit heath robinson lol.

4. chris42

chris42 New Member

yes both beam type.
    I remember seeing some others on e-bay (the clicky ones) sorry don't know the correct name

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Argos do a click one for £15, which only works on higher values.

Draper do a beam one which covers most of the settings you need, for less than a tenner.

Personally I don't see the point in paying Park prices for something which you will use as little as a torque wrench.

Then again, personally I don't see the point in paying Park prices full stop. There are much cheaper tools around, and cheaper tools which are as good or better quality.

6. giant man

giant man New Member

Thanks chaps. Can you give me some other names so i can check their tools out? you mentioned Draper which i have heard of, would the Halfords professional ones be any good or are these for use on a car?

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I looked in Halfords before I got the ones I have. It took me ages to find it, the assistant had no clue, and as usual it was overpriced.

8. derosa

derosa New Member

I have a couple of Cyclo T-wrenches. Have never let me down and were relatively cheap compared to the Park offerings.

9. slow down

slow down New Member

10. giant man

giant man New Member

Ouch! :?:

11. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

Try looking for Norbar - they make them rather than just putting stickers on them, unlike Park. Torque wrenches are either ratchet or beam type - the beam are slightly more accurate, but cost more and not really needed for bikes.

12. Tim Bennet

Tim Bennet Well-Known Member

It's also worth deciding whether you need a torque wrench at all. There's only two types of bolt on a bike - those that mustn't be over tightened and those which really need cranking up.

For the first, develop a degree of sensitivity and always use a short(ish) allen key. Nearly everything that uses a 5mm allen key only needs 'firming' up. For critical things, like stem / handlebar clamps, use blue loctite rather than risk over tightening them.

For fitting bottom brackets (especially Italian threaded) and crank nuts, I don't think you can over tighten them with even a standard length mechanics spanner. Just heave till your eyes pop.

It's also easy to use the 'foot-pound' values to make sure you are in the right ball park. Forty foot pounds of torque is a sweat to achieve with only a six inch spanner. It's the same effort as lifting an eighty pound weight. Whereas five foot pounds with a long 12 inch T- allen wrench is no more effort than lifting a couple of bags of sugar.

13. giant man

giant man New Member

Thanks for your comments Tim, I can see what you mean about the effort involved using different tools.

I plan to do a complete bike build this year you see and not knowing much at all i thought it was one hurdle over with if i was tightening all the bolts/fixings correctly you see.

14. slow down

slow down New Member

Depends on the materials of frame and parts to an extent, but think I'm going to buy one just forpiece of mind. The more cost effective ones are a better option that scrapping a £50+ carbon post (or even worse a £1,000 carbon frame) because a bolts been overtightened.

15. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

It depends how much you are going to use them, but as a general rule money spent on good tools is not wasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!