Total justification for e bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A serious question. Without looking it up can you get E bikes with drop handlebars? I'm not a flat handlebar fan. Anyway, i ask because i envisage myself ending up with an E bike sooner rather than later. I feel really down after last weeks incident when someone fell over and knocked me off. It's taking longer to recover than i thought, i can't even use my exercise bike yet as it hurts too much. I'm just wondering how many more knocks my old legs can take before i have to have a little help.It's too hilly around here to just sail along leisurely. If you can buy E bikes that look nearly the same as road bikes then i'm interested in one!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A serious question. Without looking it up can you get E bikes with drop handlebars? I'm not a flat handlebar fan. Anyway, i ask because i envisage myself ending up with an E bike sooner rather than later. I feel really down after last weeks incident when someone fell over and knocked me off. It's taking longer to recover than i thought, i can't even use my exercise bike yet as it hurts too much. I'm just wondering how many more knocks my old legs can take before i have to have a little help.It's too hilly around here to just sail along leisurely. If you can buy E bikes that look nearly the same as road bikes then i'm interested in one!

I'm not sure you could to be honest. There is usually a throttle on the handle bars and I'm not sure drop handlebars would work. I don't think I have seen any ebikes with them fitted.

welsh dragon

Thanks! Then i'd just have to get used to flat bars. I'm not a fan of the upright position but i can adapt to many things!:okay:

Saying that, there are electric conversion kits you can buy to convert an existing bike, so you may well be able to Do it. I've never looked at them. There Is a good forum called pedelecs, and They could help you.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I would give the flat handlebars a go you may find you get on better with them.
Us humans are a very versatile species i am sure in a short time you will be saying i am not a fan of drop handlebars.:bicycle:

OP
OP
P

Phil Fouracre

Veteran
As the op, and a convert to ebikes, I can highly recommend Cyclotricity kits. They do a number of different options that seem to be able to suit most bikes
I've fitted 250w front wheel kits to two Thorn Tours. Now in the process of fitting two 500w rear wheel kits to two Giant Stance full suss mtbs

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

As has been said, nothing to stop you converting a drop bar bike.

There are not many ready made drop bar ebikes, but Giant have recently entered the market.

This Bike Radar test is worth a read.

The hacks did manage to overheat some of the bikes on the Alpine-style climb, and cook the brakes on the way down.

But I wouldn't worry too much about that, I suspect they tried to climb in too high a gear, which some crank drive ebikes don't like.

These guys descend like demons as you know, so I doubt a recreational rider would either do such a long descent or attack the descent as aggressively.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/giant-road-e-review-47443/

welsh dragon

I had no idea there was no justification for e bikes.
As long as someone is out on a bike,no matter if they need a bit of assistance,they are on a bike.
And that makes them a cyclist no matter what

Very true...

That's exactly why I bought mine, simple but very well engineered.

The frame has been designed from the ground up to utilise the Carbon Belt system and the rear hub motor, no nasty torque arms etc.

No messy wiring everywhere, no computer, the battery doesn't really look like a battery and easy to unclip.

Some people are dissapointed because it doesn't ride itself but I wanted a proper bike with assistance when needed, this fits the bill perfectly for me!

View attachment 141484 View attachment 141485

Saw @keithmac 's G-Tech before,and I think it's kinda cool.

keithmac

Guru
I'm not sure you could to be honest. There is usually a throttle on the handle bars and I'm not sure drop handlebars would work. I don't think I have seen any ebikes with them fitted.

If you go for a more "bike" like ebike it won't have a throttle, they use crank torque and cadence sensing to meter out the assistance.

The Giant Road-e is a beautiful looking bike and you'd be hard pressed to tell it was electric at first glance..

OP
OP
P

Phil Fouracre

Veteran
Just 'road testing' my Giant full suss with kit as mentioned earlier. Works a dream, just 'floats along', sad, or what? Talking about fitting kits to different bikes, these will fit anything. Told by Cyclotricity that they're not often fitted to full suss, and, that it could be difficult. If you are half practical I reckon it can be done, had to modify pedal sensing arrangements, and fiddle about with general positioning and layout, but, now very pleased. Also, re the throttle, these kits have both pedal sensing and throttle, so, the best of both worlds.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The one problem with the Cyclotricity kit would be the brake levers, these have cut-outs installed. The wheel will power without them (I only use one of them on the Trike as the other lever has a 'handbrake' button) but I'd want to be able to cut the power off 'just in case'

keithmac

Guru
This is my next project, Carrera Vengence Ultimate/ Nuvinci 360 rear hub/ TSDZ2 Mid motor with 36v 15ah battery.

Slow going but nearly got it finished!, won't be using the tensioner setup in the pic as it doesn't allow the chain to mesh with much of the rear sprocket..

20160813_111305.jpg

Top Bottom