Total justification for e bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A couple of points to bear in mind.

A full-speed throttle is now illegal, even it cuts out at the legal speed limit of 15.5mph.

Plenty of users don't worry about that, and it's hardly the most serious offence in the criminal calendar, so it really depends on your attitude to being a bit naughty.

There have been no prosecutions of which I'm aware, but things could get a bit unpleasant if you happen to clout a pedestrian and are found to be riding what the law would describe as an unlicensed moped.

Putting that aside, what you want is eminently doable for a few hundred quid.

Practically, riding the converted bike unpowered may not suit you.

The extra weight makes a big difference, and all motors have some resistance when unpowered.

'Like riding through treacle' is one description, at the very least it's like riding a loaded tourer.

So there's something to be said for pedal assist.

A decent controller will enable you to do not a lot more than 'unweight' the bike on the flat, then dial up some more grunt on hills.

The Cyclotricity kit I have (well 2 of em cos Maz has one as well) are 'dragless' motors, in fact they 'freewheel' better than a few wheels I own on normal bikes (those with rubber 'seals' on the axle)

raleighnut

Legendary Member

RMurphy195

Not sure if I've said this before - but - I was a "Naysayer" until one day I was looking at an ebike outside the cafe at the foot of Cader Idris a while back, and got talking to the owner. A local gentleman in his late 80's who would have had to give up cycling for health/fitness reasons but as a lifelong cyclist he'd switched to an ebike so he could still enjoy his cycling,with a little help on the hills (its a tad hilly in that part of the world!).

So now after visiting the bike show I'm thinking "maybe that's me in a few years time".

But I'm a tad worried about the prospect of meeting one of these on Cannock Chase/Tissington Trail/Forest of Dean etc. especially if in a couple of years I have my Grandson in tow
http://www.electric-bike-factory.co...ic_bike.html?gclid=CJLYufvJrc8CFVdAGwod4eMJlw
http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/stealth-b-52-bomber/

Lonestar

Veteran
Love racing ebikes and have caught up with a few...and they fascinate me.Interested in getting one now to make n+5.

RobWard

A lot of interesting reading, I am almost 47yrs of age and have been pondering for a few months now between ebike and normal. The thing that puts me off an ebike is knowing I will never achieve my targets. For one, The Way Of The Roses. I like to go out on my bike and clock on the miles, The further I go the fitter I am becoming. I would love some assist on some of the hills near me, But I hate the thought of the battery running out when I am some 30 miles away from home, I feel this would be like peddling a snow plough back home.

I think when people refer to ebikes as cheating they mean its not you the cyclist who has done the work. If I was on an ebike, I would not record any of my trips or goals as I would feel it was not me who did it. The satisfaction of achieving targets un aided leaves me with much sense of pride.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A lot of interesting reading, I am almost 47yrs of age and have been pondering for a few months now between ebike and normal. The thing that puts me off an ebike is knowing I will never achieve my targets. For one, The Way Of The Roses. I like to go out on my bike and clock on the miles, The further I go the fitter I am becoming. I would love some assist on some of the hills near me, But I hate the thought of the battery running out when I am some 30 miles away from home, I feel this would be like peddling a snow plough back home.

I think when people refer to ebikes as cheating they mean its not you the cyclist who has done the work. If I was on an ebike, I would not record any of my trips or goals as I would feel it was not me who did it. The satisfaction of achieving targets un aided leaves me with much sense of pride.

Obviously if you have targets and goals you want to achieve, then an bike is not for you. They are mainly for people like me who cycle purely for pleasure, are not competing or want to compete and who don't care about targets. We cycle for pleasure and exercise. And even with an ebike, you still have to work. The bike doesn't do all the work. It simply assists with the hills.

Roxy641

Kind of what I'm feeling. My family brought me a bike last xmas and there was an option for them to get me an ebike. I did feel that I do need the excise, and although I do use the bike for pleasure ie. just going for a cycle ride just for the sake of it. I also do it go keep fit. How would I be able to work out if I had really done twenty miles that week if the bike was doing the work whenever I encounter even a slight hill?

welsh dragon

The simple.answer is to have both an ordinary bike an an ebike. If you want a good workout use the ordinary bike. If you want a leisurely bimble then the ebike can be used. Simple. :laugh:

welsh dragon

How do they fair in heavy rain and thunder storms. It maybe nice a sunny when you go out, but the weather can change pretty quick around here. :rain::hyper:

This is Wales you know. :laugh:. Not sure about really heavy rain, but normal rain they should be ok. Everything is well protected and insulated and if you couldn't use them in the rain, the powers that be wouldn't allow them on the road.

Top Bottom