Total justification for e bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Wondering if I could convert the Brompton into an ebike.At least if I felt like it I could convert it back.

Looked at plenty of ebikes but It doersn't look that easy to choose.Plus my knees are fine even though I fell off the Brompton two weeks ago.Couldn't get out of the clips.Fixed now.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Wondering if I could convert the Brompton into an ebike.At least if I felt like it I could convert it back.

Looked at plenty of ebikes but It doersn't look that easy to choose.Plus my knees are fine even though I fell off the Brompton two weeks ago.Couldn't get out of the clips.Fixed now.

You can buy an eBrompton. I don't see why you couldn't convert one. ^_^

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
They don't all catch us.:tongue:
They don't need to catch you to burn more calories than you! :smile:
Its not the calories that make people take up e cycling as in my case its the exercise that helps with knee problems.
I know :smile: I am fully behind anybody that wants to use, or is using an ebike - I think that they're an excellent thing and I hope that one day, when my poor body is too tired to pedal as much as it does now, they'll assist me too in carrying on with my favourite kind of transport. Long live the ebike!

Lonestar

Veteran
I was looking at the dynamo.:blush:

That's a funny ebike....Sounds a bit emgineeeeeeeeee.

Number plate ion the front is illegal now but I do remember them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The best engineered - and most expensive - conversion kit for a Brompton is the Nano.

The way the battery connects via the luggage block is neat.

However, the electricals are fairly basic Chinese, which are OK, but you could buy the components for less than the £700+ charged by Nano.

Returning the donor bike to standard is difficult because the drop outs need to be filed to fit the motor axle.

Nothing to stop you buying another fork.

The money no object solution is a factory eBrompton.

It's been promised for several years, but Brompton now seem relatively insistent it will be available from spring, next year.

The bike has been designed with input from Williams Engineering - the Formula One motor racing company.

That could either mean genuine technological advances, or as is often the case with Brompton these days, marketing spiel to make the bike desirable to well-off buyers.

http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/

Lonestar

Veteran
Yeah I'm sort of yes no with this idea.It seems like a good idea and then it doesn't.Also doesn't seem like they are particularly fast anyway and where to stick the battery is fiddly anyway.The forks thing is another put off.Still could do it but a purpose built bike seems a better idea.

RMurphy195

I think it might have been the Nano conversion I saw at the bike show. Ingenious, but when I picked it up in its folded state - I couldn't, it was heavy, and with the weight of the battery/motor it wanted totip over onto one side. Rather defeated the object,from my perspective,of the Brompton. If looking at this type of conversion try the practicalities of folding and lifting this first - imagine getting onto a train, carrying it across a station concourse/through ticket barriers etc.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Motors and batteries which have reasonable power and capacity are heavy.

A folding ebike with acceptable performance is cumbersome, so the fold is really only suitable for lifting in and out of the car or for storage in a confined area.

Lonestar

Veteran
Agree...a folding ebike does not seem the best of ideas...That ebike on the CS 3 last night had a big case on the rack on the back with a green button.I couldn't see the battery so I guess that was it?

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Motors and batteries which have reasonable power and capacity are heavy.

A folding ebike with acceptable performance is cumbersome, so the fold is really only suitable for lifting in and out of the car or for storage in a confined area.
Yes i must say i wouldn't want to carry my e cycle folder far.
As you say they are only suitable for storage and transporting in a vehicle which to be honest is really their intended purpose.

Top Bottom