Total justification for e bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I must admit that for a long time I thought e- bikes were for "lazy people". Not so now as I finally can see the advantages it offers to many "would be cyclists" but can't be for many reasons.At the age of 66 soon, I can see me getting one in about 10 years time , when I am old.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
As has been said, nothing to stop you converting a drop bar bike.

There are not many ready made drop bar ebikes, but Giant have recently entered the market.

This Bike Radar test is worth a read.

The hacks did manage to overheat some of the bikes on the Alpine-style climb, and cook the brakes on the way down.

But I wouldn't worry too much about that, I suspect they tried to climb in too high a gear, which some crank drive ebikes don't like.

These guys descend like demons as you know, so I doubt a recreational rider would either do such a long descent or attack the descent as aggressively.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/giant-road-e-review-47443/

When they get down to half their current price I would be tempted to have one of these. Only thing that would stop me is if I couldn't use it for the Imperial Century challenge

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When they get down to half their current price I would be tempted to have one of these. Only thing that would stop me is if I couldn't use it for the Imperial Century challenge

Not sure if one would work for you as a strong push bike rider.

Using the motor, even on lowest setting, would need a second battery to cover 100 miles.

You could turn the motor off on the flat/ride above the assist limit of 15.5mph, but you might find pushing the extra weight would outweigh any benefit on hills.

It would be an interesting experiment for you to do the same 100-mile ride on both types of bike.

Lonestar

Veteran
I'd like to get one as they are fast and I'm and I have a big interest in electronics and mechanics.

I'm a big supporter of ebikes now after hiring some @ Karon beach and using them between there and Phuket.My fitness at the time was pretty poor.

They were Kalkhoff ebikes chain driven from bottom bracket.

Last edited:

AnneW

Über Member
But you can't really say you're going out cycling, either, can you? ^_^

Yes, I can.

I have to pedal all the time - if I don't pedal, I will fall off, just like any bike.

I have different levels of assistance available on my e-bike, including none at all. I can chose whichever setting I need. I still have to put effort in, and I make sure that I do. I still get hot and out of breath (and not just because I'm a podge ^_^). That's my choice, because I want to get fitter.

Others may choose to pootle, but they're still cycling.

Our last customer was diabetic and elderly. He had a glucose crash in the shop and collapsed whilst he was looking. He bought a folding bike, the roodog bliss and he loves it. He got one of the last ones with the twist and go. He can ride again, anybody want to call him a cheat?

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Our last customer was diabetic and elderly. He had a glucose crash in the shop and collapsed whilst he was looking. He bought a folding bike, the roodog bliss and he loves it. He got one of the last ones with the twist and go. He can ride again, anybody want to call him a cheat?
Twist and go is the best way to go. :okay:

Salar

A fish out of water
I don't see the need to justify e bikes. I'm all for them if it gets you out.

I've pondered about fitting a kit to one of my bikes for a few years.

There was some dodgy kits around a few years ago, but thankfully they seem to have disappeared from the market.

Cyclotricity kit looks good, but the costs do mount up when compared to buying one of their bikes.

If it could be done for around £300 max or so all in including replacement wheel I'd consider it, but at the moment it still seems pricey. EBC seem to be the cheapest at £400.00
That is unless you know something different and it's legal :smile:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't see the need to justify e bikes. I'm all for them if it gets you out.

I've pondered about fitting a kit to one of my bikes for a few years.

There was some dodgy kits around a few years ago, but thankfully they seem to have disappeared from the market.

Cyclotricity kit looks good, but the costs do mount up when compared to buying one of their bikes.

If it could be done for around £300 max or so all in including replacement wheel I'd consider it, but at the moment it still seems pricey. EBC seem to be the cheapest at £400.00
That is unless you know something different and it's legal :smile:

What you want is a large Chinese supplier with a silly name, Blue My Sky, or BMS for short.

Motor kits from about $125.

https://bmsbattery.com/19-ebike-conversion-kit?orderby=price&orderway=desc&orderway=desc&p=3

Batteries under $200.

https://bmsbattery.com/19-ebike-conversion-kit?orderby=price&orderway=desc&orderway=desc&p=3

Adding a bit of shipping and duty you may - or may not - have to pay should give a total bill of under £300.

Top Bottom