Total justification for e bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a couple of e bikes for a while now, and, had all the 'cheating' arguments thrown at us, who gives a stuff what anyone else thinks?
In the Peaks yesterday, chatting to a guy outside local bike shop. His story is the perfect antidote to idiots who criticise others with no knowledge of their history.
Diabetic, overweight - so wife buys him an e bike (mountain) he rides it regularly, lost 6 stone! Can now ride with local group, as well as his son. Loves every minute of it, new lease of life, desperate to get out on the hills at every opportunity.
What more could you ask for?

Haitch

Flim Flormally
My father-in-law is currently riding his ebike down the Danube. Not bad for an 84 year old.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Had a couple of e bikes for a while now, and, had all the 'cheating' arguments thrown at us, who gives a stuff what anyone else thinks?
In the Peaks yesterday, chatting to a guy outside local bike shop. His story is the perfect antidote to idiots who criticise others with no knowledge of their history.
Diabetic, overweight - so wife buys him an e bike (mountain) he rides it regularly, lost 6 stone! Can now ride with local group, as well as his son. Loves every minute of it, new lease of life, desperate to get out on the hills at every opportunity.
What more could you ask for?
Do many folk consider them cheating?

I'm sure some do but I actually think most just assume that there is a reason a person chooses one, beyond cheating

I was a spokes width away from buying a kalkhoff a few years ago. I'm very glad I didn't for a range of reasons but could definitely see the appeal.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Are people generally anti e-bikes here? It's not the impression I've got... maybe the odd dissenter but you'll always have different opinions on any subject.

If people want to ride an e-bike I'm pleased for them that they're getting out, it's better than sitting on a sofa. It can't be cheating if they're not competing. Not unless they pass me anyway.

dodgy

I wouldn't mind a Gocycle G3, can't quite justify the outlay, though. If I was sure my wife would use it for the odd pint of milk journey instead of the car, could be tempted.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is only recently on here that the electric bike knockers have stopped. You do not need to have to justify having an electric bike. Jannie and I loved having ours.

Alan H. respect to your father in law. I hope he is having a great time. My father in law is also 8 and rides his road bike regularly in the summer.

keithmac

Guru
I'm very happy with the Gtech, for my commute (flat and moderate hills) it's great. They claim 30 miles on a battery but it depends on how you ride and the amount of effort you put in.

I ride it just like a normal bike so assist only kicks in for me from setting off and hills/ wind so I get 50miles from a charge.

It's light for an ebike (16kg) and the Gates Carbon Drive is nice and smooth. No gears though!.

If you're going to tackle a lot of steeper hills I would say a geared bike would be more practical (Halfords sell a Carrera Crossfire-e that gets good user reviews) but that is 20+kg I beleive.

The brunt of the assist torque on the Gtech is at 12mph.

For me the Gtech is perfect for my work bike (virtually no maintenance, no gears to faf with, light and easy to steer and nice assist for the hills).

It's more of a helping hand on the hills for me, if you don't have a lot of energy and lots of hills to climb then maybe not the best choice?.

They do 14 day returns if you're not happy/ don't get on with it but for me its the perfect commuter and really glad I bought one!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm very happy with the Gtech, for my commute (flat and moderate hills) it's great. They claim 30 miles on a battery but it depends on how you ride and the amount of effort you put in.

I ride it just like a normal bike so assist only kicks in for me from setting off and hills/ wind so I get 50miles from a charge.

It's light for an ebike (16kg) and the Gates Carbon Drive is nice and smooth. No gears though!.

If you're going to tackle a lot of steeper hills I would say a geared bike would be more practical (Halfords sell a Carrera Crossfire-e that gets good user reviews) but that is 20+kg I beleive.

The brunt of the assist torque on the Gtech is at 12mph.

For me the Gtech is perfect for my work bike (virtually no maintenance, no gears to faf with, light and easy to steer and nice assist for the hills).

It's more of a helping hand on the hills for me, if you don't have a lot of energy and lots of hills to climb then maybe not the best choice?.

They do 14 day returns if you're not happy/ don't get on with it but for me its the perfect commuter and really glad I bought one!

I've not tried a Gtech, but this seems like a spot on review to me from what I've read and heard about the bike and from my knowledge of other ebikes.

Another point in the Gtech's favour may be reliability.

Many sub-£1,000 Chinese ebikes suffer from niggly faults, often electrical.

Lots of reports already of the motor cutting out on the Carrera ebike.

Such reports about the Gtech are noticeable by their absence.

That could be another benefit of its relative simplicity.

keithmac

Guru
That's exactly why I bought mine, simple but very well engineered.

The frame has been designed from the ground up to utilise the Carbon Belt system and the rear hub motor, no nasty torque arms etc.

No messy wiring everywhere, no computer, the battery doesn't really look like a battery and easy to unclip.

Some people are dissapointed because it doesn't ride itself but I wanted a proper bike with assistance when needed, this fits the bill perfectly for me!

20160703_154714.jpg
20160703_154654.jpg

Top Bottom