total newbie on a whim (maybe)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
after eight?
Promotional_After_Eight_Mints_chocolate.jpg

Cheers Ed

That bike looks mint.

Sharky

Guru
Not sure about the brake either - need to fit a Kit Kat

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
right will have a look and see what i find! thanks for the info though :smile:

thanks also. i might get hooked and addicted to this dangerous TT drug but i won't have the money and have more important things to spend any of my pennies on than a new aero bike or real aero bars or an aero helmet etc
thanks for the offer on the clip on bars but i will try a few TT's to see what i think before i spend on money on yet MORE cycling related stuff as my family would say! :tongue:

so i don't need any licence etc as you do for proper velo racing? and it's no prob not having brakes etc on aero bars if i get them, just keep my eyes peeled and be ready to switch back down onto the normal bars? do you have as much control (steering wise) whilst you are gripping the aero bars as you do when say on the hoods or drops?
thanks very much for everyone's help!
Cheers Ed

No license required for time-trialling. Some clubs will let you ride their own time-trials without being a member- at least to try it out once. If you want to do more they will expect you to join, just ask your local club. Evening 10s generally start in April, a lot of clubs organize these.

No real problems not having brakes on aerobars (TT bikes rarely have them) but you will need to practice switching positions so that when you need to corner or deal with junctions you can cover your brakes.

You will have poorer control of the bike on the tribars but many courses are fairly non-technical, if the road surface is bad in places you can switch positions for more control.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
sounds interesting, thanks @palinurus and thanks for the laughs @ayceejay! :biggrin:

i think i will go and plot a 10 mile simple route (got one in mind that i think they TT on in any case) and give it a shot by my self to see where i am time wise
Cheers Ed

screenman

Legendary Member
sounds interesting, thanks @palinurus and thanks for the laughs @ayceejay! :biggrin:

i think i will go and plot a 10 mile simple route (got one in mind that i think they TT on in any case) and give it a shot by my self to see where i am time wise
Cheers Ed

Then knock a couple of minutes off of that, which is what you would gain by putting a number on. Must admit I never did dummy races, they just would not have worked for me.

oldroadman

Veteran
Here's the slightly serious bit. Go join your local club and have a go. Enjoy, meet like minded people, post-race can be both enjoyable and helpful with tips from the old hands.
Now, so far as Aero and the like are concerned, one of my training partners was out alone some years ago, with just water and a Crunchie bar for 120 or so km. Having eaten half the bar, about 30km from home he went into serious hunger knock. removed said bar from rear pocket, squeezed the wrapper gently, bar shoots out into the middle of the road, it gets run over by passing truck....! As he said, if he had had the energy he would have been looking at life for murder of a truck driver. Luckily a life saving café appeared a few minutes later, then discovery of no money, but that's another story.......
Yes, most bike riders are a bit mad, but then who's to say we are not the sane ones and everyone else is mad? Enjoy!

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Here's the slightly serious bit. Go join your local club and have a go. Enjoy, meet like minded people, post-race can be both enjoyable and helpful with tips from the old hands.
Now, so far as Aero and the like are concerned, one of my training partners was out alone some years ago, with just water and a Crunchie bar for 120 or so km. Having eaten half the bar, about 30km from home he went into serious hunger knock. removed said bar from rear pocket, squeezed the wrapper gently, bar shoots out into the middle of the road, it gets run over by passing truck....! As he said, if he had had the energy he would have been looking at life for murder of a truck driver. Luckily a life saving café appeared a few minutes later, then discovery of no money, but that's another story.......
Yes, most bike riders are a bit mad, but then who's to say we are not the sane ones and everyone else is mad? Enjoy!
not sure how aero comes into this?
did your mate complete the 120km on just water?
i have done over 100 miles before with apples,1 sandwich and a few tesco everyday value snack bars and of course water
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom