total newbie on a whim (maybe)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
i feel like giving some TT's my best hit, not going full out with super duper full carbon bike with disc wheel and the rest. can i do it on my 2009 scott speedster drop bike road bike, alli frame carbon forks? weighs in at round about 9 something kg i think excluding saddle bag and contents.

how do i do it? do i do it through my club? i assume i pay so much to enter a TT? how much is this? do i need a licence or membership etc for TT's?

do i need aero bars? i was thinking clip on as as i wouldn't be only TTing on this bike, would no brakes or gears on the aero bars be a prob?
would a pair like this do?
aero.jpg

Cheers Ed

Sharky

Guru
Just join a club - I think the Asford are in your patch. Must be a member of an affiliated club to ride timetrials.
This link will give you a list of open and club events
http://www.cttsoutheastdistrict.org.uk/
Club events - you usually just turn-up, pay a couple of quid and ride.
Open events you have to enter about 12 days in advance and will cost about £8

Any bike will do to start time trialling. In fact the less of an aero bike the better, because you just have to learn the skills of pacing yourself first. This you can learn on any bike. Once you hit a ceiling, you can start adding aero stuff to make gains.

Good luck
Keith

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Careful @young Ed , I just gave it a try early last year and it hooked me in. Tt bike (and prob divorce!) is on order for this year.

Just do it through a club or do an open as stated above, you'll love it.

If you are after some non edible aero bars, I've got a pair of clip ons you can have for not too many quids...

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Just join a club - I think the Asford are in your patch. Must be a member of an affiliated club to ride timetrials.
This link will give you a list of open and club events
http://www.cttsoutheastdistrict.org.uk/
Club events - you usually just turn-up, pay a couple of quid and ride.
Open events you have to enter about 12 days in advance and will cost about £8

Any bike will do to start time trialling. In fact the less of an aero bike the better, because you just have to learn the skills of pacing yourself first. This you can learn on any bike. Once you hit a ceiling, you can start adding aero stuff to make gains.

Good luck
Keith
right will have a look and see what i find! thanks for the info though :smile:
Careful @young Ed , I just gave it a try early last year and it hooked me in. Tt bike (and prob divorce!) is on order for this year.

Just do it through a club or do an open as stated above, you'll love it.

If you are after some non edible aero bars, I've got a pair of clip ons you can have for not too many quids...
thanks also. i might get hooked and addicted to this dangerous TT drug but i won't have the money and have more important things to spend any of my pennies on than a new aero bike or real aero bars or an aero helmet etc
thanks for the offer on the clip on bars but i will try a few TT's to see what i think before i spend on money on yet MORE cycling related stuff as my family would say! :tongue:

so i don't need any licence etc as you do for proper velo racing? and it's no prob not having brakes etc on aero bars if i get them, just keep my eyes peeled and be ready to switch back down onto the normal bars? do you have as much control (steering wise) whilst you are gripping the aero bars as you do when say on the hoods or drops?
thanks very much for everyone's help!
Cheers Ed

ayceejay

Guru
Ed, I think you ill find that Mars 'bars will be more help as you work and pray on a TT.

Top Bottom