Total Restart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I joined this forum sometime last year with the intention of getting a bit fitter.Things didn't go to plan and i haven't been paying attention to myself.Things are pretty bad health wise,my lungs are fine,my heart is fine but if i don't take drastic action now it's gonna be to late if it isn't already.Here is my problem,i weigh in at exactly 5ft 9 in 300 lb BMI over 50.Yes my friends i do have a lot of hard work ahead of me,to help me on my way i have bought a turbo trainer.It arrived yesterday morning,today i'm gonna give my cycle a dust off and oil up.It really is a start at the beginning,lets see what changes i can make before my 60th birthday in april 2018.From now on i will be a regular poster,i aim to lose 60 lb by april.Do you think it can be done,i think i can do it.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
:highfive:

Go for it!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s great that you’ve recognised the problem and you’re doing something about it. You need to regulate your diet, as I’m sure you realise. If you can stick to it and do some cycling which you can gradually build up. What bike have you got?
I think you may get a bit bored on the turbo trainer, better to get out in the fresh air.
It’ll be tough at first particularly if you haven’t done much time on the bike but stick with it and it will get easier. Any help or advice you need just ask.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
If you want it then yes it certainly can be done.
Make small changes rather than drastic ones , dieting is a horrible,word , life changes sounds better to me , I reduced swapped cut out most of the bad things food wise over a gradual period so not to feel to down as I love ALL the bad foods.
I also have a treat day where I don't go mad but I do eat things I like such as chocolate.
Mix up your fitness though , try walking at faster pace hills or inclines if possible , not solely reliant on the bike.
Good luck , have a positive mindset and if you do have few bad days food wise don't beat yourself up over it.
Look forward to seeing how you get on.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Whereabouts are you generaldogsbody? Manchester perchance?

Try not to weigh yourself too often, when you first start out, maybe once a week, always on the same day, at the same time, wherever possible. Good luck, if you keep at it, and adjust your diet, you'll be fine:thumbsup:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Of course it can be done, it isn't rocket science.
Small but significant changes are the key. Choose better meal options, if you are living off frozen pizza and takeaways then you need to swap to better options. Consider some chicken with a bit of veg? Don't jump in and try to manage on tiny portions or missing meals, that is a sure way to fail. Cut out continual snacking between meals, this can make a big difference. Just as a small anecdote, I was recently waiting outside a supermarket and spotted 4 girls/young women returning to a car having done some lunchtime shopping. One of the girls was noticeably big in an unhealthy way and as they were loading their shopping bags into the car boot the large girl was stuffing food into her mouth! Like I said, it isn't rocket science and medical issues aside a lot of the required changes can be obvious when viewed from the outside.
Now something I have said many, many times in response to posts like yours. Use your bike for everything. Don't get into the whole 'today I will go for a bike ride' mentality because it won't work and those rides won't happen. Instead, just take the bike for every errand. Nipping to the shop for some milk, hop on the bike. Getting money from the cash machine, ride to work (if it is a doable distance), going to the pub, visiting family, anything. Just use your bike and you will be amazed at how the short trips add up to a significant distance and big change in fitness. No big change in the things you do, just doing them differently. My car can often remain unused for nearly a week at a time and I live 10 miles away from work. Try it, you will like it and the smug feeling of breaking free from the system is very satisfying.
Anyway, enough waffling from me, the weather is nice in Manchester today. Don't know exactly where you are in the northwest but today is a good day for a short ride out...... :okay:

Sharky

Guru
Good luck, you can do it. Introduce small changes and repeat them until they become the "norm", then make further small changes.
As I said in another post - don't let yourself slip backwards over the Christmas festivities.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ride every day, start steadily, in a few weeks yards will become miles and minutes of riding will become hours. Your weight will begin to fall off rapidly once you become a regular cyclist

Top Bottom