Total Restart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It’s great that you’ve recognised the problem and you’re doing something about it. You need to regulate your diet, as I’m sure you realise. If you can stick to it and do some cycling which you can gradually build up. What bike have you got?
I think you may get a bit bored on the turbo trainer, better to get out in the fresh air.
It’ll be tough at first particularly if you haven’t done much time on the bike but stick with it and it will get easier. Any help or advice you need just ask.
My bike's a DBS logic,27 speed hybrid,the turbo trainer will be boreing but to start will only be minutes.Iv'e got my mp3 player loaded up,that should help.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Iv'e cut out all the bad carbs,trying the atkins way.
I don't want to be a knocker but I am a big believer in a balanced, sensible diet. I don't have much confidence in these fashion/fad diet systems. Sure they may achieve weight loss, but is it healthy and sustainable?

Of course it can be done, it isn't rocket science.
Small but significant changes are the key. Choose better meal options, if you are living off frozen pizza and takeaways then you need to swap to better options. Consider some chicken with a bit of veg? Don't jump in and try to manage on tiny portions or missing meals, that is a sure way to fail. Cut out continual snacking between meals, this can make a big difference. Just as a small anecdote, I was recently waiting outside a supermarket and spotted 4 girls/young women returning to a car having done some lunchtime shopping. One of the girls was noticeably big in an unhealthy way and as they were loading their shopping bags into the car boot the large girl was stuffing food into her mouth! Like I said, it isn't rocket science and medical issues aside a lot of the required changes can be obvious when viewed from the outside.
Now something I have said many, many times in response to posts like yours. Use your bike for everything. Don't get into the whole 'today I will go for a bike ride' mentality because it won't work and those rides won't happen. Instead, just take the bike for every errand. Nipping to the shop for some milk, hop on the bike. Getting money from the cash machine, ride to work (if it is a doable distance), going to the pub, visiting family, anything. Just use your bike and you will be amazed at how the short trips add up to a significant distance and big change in fitness. No big change in the things you do, just doing them differently. My car can often remain unused for nearly a week at a time and I live 10 miles away from work. Try it, you will like it and the smug feeling of breaking free from the system is very satisfying.
Anyway, enough waffling from me, the weather is nice in Manchester today. Don't know exactly where you are in the northwest but today is a good day for a short ride out...... :okay:
I never had the problem of eating pies,chips and stuff outside.All my eating was done indoors.Just ate to much crap and no excersise.It's commpleatly my own doing.to much in and not enough out.

Last edited:

petek

Über Member
Diet plus exercise will see the weight fall off you mate.
All strength to ya generaldogsbody
Doc once told me...
"You are getting the calories you need every week from beer, the food is an added extra."
Knocked the beer off and switched to a nice dry sherry of an evening, cut out chippie-lunches 'al desko' at work.
Was nearly 18 stone, got down to a flat 15 stone and have managed to stay at that.
Cycling helps a lot, exercise but FUN.
:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, a varied low calorie diet is much healthier and more sustainable than something like Adkins which cuts out multiple food groups. You might find a group like Slimming Workd can provide motivation, support as well as ideas for what to eat etc.

Also, have you been checked over by your GP for diabetes etc before embarking on the diet, just to check that there's nothing to be aware of (you say your heart and lungs are ok but that might be based on how you feel rather than medical examination)

Good luck :smile:

As above, a varied low calorie diet is much healthier and more sustainable than something like Adkins which cuts out multiple food groups. You might find a group like Slimming Workd can provide motivation, support as well as ideas for what to eat etc.

Also, have you been checked over by your GP for diabetes etc before embarking on the diet, just to check that there's nothing to be aware of (you say your heart and lungs are ok but that might be based on how you feel rather than medical examination)

Good luck :smile:
My heart and lungs are fine,been checked out.My blood preasure's a tad high,my resting heart rate is 60-65 per min.No diabetes,I do believe the high fat,medium pro,low carb atkins diet is best for me.Bad carbs and sugar is the killer,iv'e cut out all bread,potatoes,refined carbs i rarely ate chocolate anyway.I don't take sugar in my brews,i'm drinking coffee with cream,i don't drink beer and i don't smoke.

The 'full' Atkins diet cut out all carbs, so not just bread and spuds and sugar, but also rice, pasta, fruit,veg and pretty much anything else other than meat. Yours sounds a much more sensible approach

Any 'diet' or weight loss plan basically works by reducing the number of calories in, having a variety of food groups making up those calories is the best approach :smile:
Carbs are not a food group, thobut.

Atkins encourages the consumption of all whole, unprocessed natural foods from all food groups, so yes, what the OP describes is sensible, not the common misconceptions people hold about Atkins. And properly conducted studies have concluded it's much more sustainable in the long-term than simply "reducing calories".

I've been low carb for 5+ years and can hand-on-heart say it has saved my life.

YMMV. As you were.

Atkins encourages the consumption of all whole, unprocessed natural foods from all food groups, so yes, what the OP describes is sensible, not the common misconceptions people hold about Atkins
I read the original atkins book from the 70s, that discouraged any carbs at all, even lettuce and told you to get used to pooping once only a week, :eek: so the source of the misconceptions is probably Atkins himself.
Slowly slowly, catchee monkey.
Or possibly not

"However, in a comparison of two groups, one of which dramatically cut their daily calorie intake for 12 weeks, and another which cut back slightly over 36 weeks, the rapid weight loss group was more likely to hit their targets and just as likely to maintain their weight loss three years on"

Carbs are not a food group, thobut.

Atkins encourages the consumption of all whole, unprocessed natural foods from all food groups, so yes, what the OP describes is sensible, not the common misconceptions people hold about Atkins. And properly conducted studies have concluded it's much more sustainable in the long-term than simply "reducing calories".

I've been low carb for 5+ years and can hand-on-heart say it has saved my life.

YMMV. As you were.
Low carb is fine, no carb isn't. Atkins is often misinterpreted, to the point that people push themselves into 'the wall / the bonk' by eating no carbs whatsoever, and increasing their calorie burn, just a bit. This is when people ( incorrectly) interperating Atkins / any other fad diet, incorrectly, start to feel rotten, smell of pear drops. They've pushed themselves to the point, that the body is producing Ketones, to keep the brain going, which isn't the idea. Atkins is also intended as a 'quick fix' not a lifestyle.

I read the original atkins book from the 70s, that discouraged any carbs at all, even lettuce and told you to get used to pooping once only a week, :eek: so the source of the misconceptions is probably Atkins himself.

Or possibly not

"However, in a comparison of two groups, one of which dramatically cut their daily calorie intake for 12 weeks, and another which cut back slightly over 36 weeks, the rapid weight loss group was more likely to hit their targets and just as likely to maintain their weight loss three years on"
I'm on the new improved atkins,no bread,pasta, rice etc.I am getting my carbs from spinach,green beans,cabbage, and salads it's all good food.

Or possibly not

I went down the 'quick as you can' route. I wouldn't advise it. It was very effective ( I halved my weight, in 12 weeks), but it wasn't fun.

Top Bottom