Total Restart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Interesting study @jefmcg. I still instinctively think it is better to go more gently when the OP is combining diet with exercise. Don't want him bonking/fainting miles from anywhere or in the middle of traffic.

Dunno!

Isn't the traditional fat burning zone supposedly around 65-70% of your max heart rate? I know on some hills I must go beyond that.

But certainly the last 3 years worth of FNRttC's and numerous other 50-60 mile rides at a faster pace without needing to take on any carbs have been ok.

And if nothing else, the fact my bikes don't get covered in a sticky mess from spilt energy drinks is an added bonus.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Get yourself the hairy dieters cookbooks. Tasty food, reduced carbs but you don't feel you're missing out.
Turbo trainers are pretty boring but you can put on a you tube cycling video to make you feel part of it.
Some people such as myself use a smart trainer and there are group racesand handicapsbwhich are great fun. Keeps you interested and motivated...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dunno!

Isn't the traditional fat burning zone supposedly around 65-70% of your max heart rate? I know on some hills I must go beyond that.

But certainly the last 3 years worth of FNRttC's and numerous other 50-60 mile rides at a faster pace without needing to take on any carbs have been ok.

And if nothing else, the fact my bikes don't get covered in a sticky mess from spilt energy drinks is an added bonus.
You can definitely make your body more efficient at burning fat and by using more fat you are saving glycogen ('carbs') for when you really need it.

I have got very close to my maximum heart rate on some of the steeper hills round here. I hit 199 bpm once climbing a short stretch of 25% into a headwind and I'm pretty sure that it couldn't have gone much higher without something very unpleasant happening! :eek:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Dunno!

I've yet to spill a Pork Pie. :hungry:

Top Bottom