'Totally Wyred' - a flattish imperial century from Whalley on Sunday 1st April.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tubbycyclist

That was a sound ride, and Colin's zigzag route meant that what little headwind there was never lasted for more than 500 metres.^_^

I bailed on riding back to Hebden (thanks Steve) but still got 200km for the day. As potsy said It was a mistake to try and climb against TF after 100 miles and not something I will be repeating in the future. I won't try and rob Potsy of his polka dot jersey ever again.:ohmy:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't worry, a good lesson for me. As always want to learn as much as possible about any activity I partake in. Learnt some good tyre changing tips yesterday. Oh Yes and LOOK AT YOUR TYRES BEFORE YOU EMBARK ON A 100 MILE BIKE RIDE. Numpty.
The reason I was carrying a spare yesterday was that Kevin (tubbycyclist) had a tyre fail on a forum ride in the Dales last year and after that I thought that it would be a good idea for there to be at least one person to be carrying one on forum rides.

Your point about checking tyres is a good one. I had one finally wear out on a forum ride recently. I didn't notice until I got home but by then it was completely knackered - the rubber had worn away in lots of places and the cords underneath were fraying. It was definitely no longer safe to ride. I had another one develop a scary-looking bulge.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That was a sound ride, and Colin's zigzag route meant that what little headwind there was never lasted for more than 500 metres.^_^
The zigzags meant that we didn't have a tailwind for long either, and the crosswinds were pretty bad at times!

I've just been reading a report I wrote about a sunny century ride on my Cannondale in June 2005. I was on my way back to being fit then. Not super, but a lot fitter than I have been since 2007 ...

ColinJ said:
8< (rest of report) >8

Off we set again. I was beginning to feel slightly frazzled by now, and was looking forward to getting home to a soak in the bath then some nice food and drink. Unfortunately, that was still over 2 hours away! We rode on through Whitewell, and towards Great Mitton. All of a sudden Bill asked me if I planned to stop anywhere else on the way back. Actually, I had just worked out that I was probably going to run out of drink about 15 miles from home so it DID seem like a good idea. It turned out that Bill for once was starting to feel a bit hot and bothered himself. I noticed that his freshly shaved head was caked in a thin layer of salt.

We decided to stop at Whalley and bought 2 huge bottles of Coca Cola, thinking that the combination of sugar and caffeine was just what we needed to help us on our weary way home. After a lot of guzzling (and burping!), we mounted up once more and set off up the dragging climb to Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley. Bill was slightly ahead of me but he still seemed to be suffering. I, however, had got a bit of an energy jolt from the Coke and decided to amuse myself by overtaking him at speed. I dropped back to get a good run at him, changed up a couple of gears, stood on the pedals and accelerated past him singing "It's the real thing, Coke is...". He looked astonished as I sprinted up the road round the bend to the lights at the top of the hill, but a wry smile appeared on his face when he caught up and found me stationary, gasping for breath, with my head slumped on the handlebars. "You'll pay for that later you know!" All good clean fun...

As usual, it was a bit tedious riding in the traffic through Padiham and on to the fringes of Burnley where I used to work. Rossendale Road rises gently at first and then rears up before levelling off towards the Manchester Road traffic lights. I always used to hate that hill when I rode back from work because I hit it after only 5 minutes and was never warmed up properly. Bill normally gains about 200 metres on me on the climb but I was able to stay within about 25 metres on Saturday. He was really surprised to see me there when he turned to see what damage he'd done at the top. I'm definitely getting fitter.

It's mainly downhill or flat from there to Todmorden and thence to Hebden Bridge. We did that last section fairly quickly, me 'wheelsucking' Bill the whole way - age before beauty and all that...

A fine day out - 7.25 hours of riding with 1.25 hours of stops on top of that. Bill seemed to be pretty happy with his new bike. and my Cannondale had been great to ride, as usual. When I got to home to Hebden Bridge I'd done 99.50 miles so I went once round the block to complete my imperial century - as you do!
Reading the whole ride report reminded me what it was like really enjoying my riding. It wasn't the painful slog it is now. It only hurt when I made a big effort, not when I was just turning the pedals over.

Would like to add my thanks to Colin for organising the ride and to everyone else for helping to make it such a pleasant :wacko: one. Special thanks to Skol for making sure I didn't get lost after Wrea Green - clearly all those things Potsy was telling me about you were a pack of lies :whistle:

I think some of you were aware that I was in two minds about signing up for this trip because I didn't feel I had enough miles in my legs. Around 30 miles I was convinced I wasn't going to get round and had more doubts in the 70s but like Potsy, I got a second and third wind and wasn't feeling too bad at the finish. Chatting to other riders - especially ones who are as interesting, amusing and as supportive as you gents (and lady)- helped enormously, so thanks again to you all.

potsy

Rambler
As potsy said It was a mistake to try and climb against TF after 100 miles and not something I will be repeating in the future. I won't try and rob Potsy of his polka dot jersey ever again.:ohmy:
Maybe when you've lost another 20lbs or so :tongue:
I think some of you were aware that I was in two minds about signing up for this trip because I didn't feel I had enough miles in my legs. Around 30 miles I was convinced I wasn't going to get round and had more doubts in the 70s but like Potsy, I got a second and third wind and wasn't feeling too bad at the finish. Chatting to other riders - especially ones who are as interesting, amusing and as supportive as you gents (and lady)- helped enormously, so thanks again to you all.
Never in doubt stass :thumbsup:

Thanks to Colin and indeed everybody for making it such a pleasant ride. The bit I think that really did us in was that long decent into Ribchester and it wasn't far after that there was a very steep albeit short climb, only just got up that, Helen very embarrassed at having to walk a bit of that but I think she may have got her own back a bit later. Unbelievably she is doing a 46 mile hilly commute today, in fact leaving work any time now so I'm off to meet her.
I think I have 4 or 5 pics which I will try to get sorted very soon. BTW we got home just before 11pm last night, too late to eat so we are a bit peckish and looking forward to some extra thick lettuce leaves maybe even with a baked potato later tonight. Colin and Alun, that was us hooting the horn and flashing the headlights at you on your way back into Whalley.

dr_pink

Had some good little fast sections with TF and Skol and then it was time for the finale, a 'race' up the final drag against a hill climbing expert on a pink bike :girl:
As expected it was a closely fought contest :whistle: only the 6st weight disadvantage stopped me :mrpig:
... I have caved in and finally joined the forum - if only to see what was written about our little race at the end. :wahhey:
My little spurt at the end was all down to SlowerThanASluggishSloth passing me some secret supplies (Haribo) (you need to change that forum name btw)
Thanks for a fab ride all - lovely route ColinJ - loved the two cafe stops (especially the ice cream place) - hope to see you all again soon........

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The bit I think that really did us in was that long decent into Ribchester and it wasn't far after that there was a very steep albeit short climb, only just got up that, Helen very embarrassed at having to walk a bit of that but I think she may have got her own back a bit later.
Ah yes - I thought that descent would be painful on fixed! :whistle:

I remembered that short steep climb from last year and was ready for it. I'd saved just enough strength to ride up it but I had to get out of the saddle and launch myself at it, and my back was screaming at me!

BTW we got home just before 11pm last night, too late to eat so we are a bit peckish and looking forward to some extra thick lettuce leaves maybe even with a baked potato later tonight.
I'd taken the precaution of freezing some home-made vegetable curry a few days ago so I had a healthy meal waiting for me. If not, I'd have ended up with a take-away because I never have the energy to spend much time in the kitchen post-century rides!

I've had a salad and baked potato this evening instead.
Colin and Alun, that was us hooting the horn and flashing the headlights at you on your way back into Whalley.
I was on auto-pilot by then and only realised that it was you as you were passing. I tried to acknowledge you both but you must have missed it.

Nice to see you both again. If you arrange a Rutland forum ride in June, I'll do my best to get down for it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

... I have caved in and finally joined the forum - if only to see what was written about our little race at the end. :wahhey:
My little spurt at the end was all down to SlowerThanASluggishSloth passing me some secret supplies (Haribo) (you need to change that forum name btw)
Thanks for a fab ride all - lovely route ColinJ - loved the two cafe stops (especially the ice cream place) - hope to see you all again soon........
We get them all in the end!

Ha ha - I like your avatar! Mine was taken 5 years ago before my hair started going grey and I got fat. I am not going to resort to Just For Men, but I certainly intend to get that sucked-in cheeks look back ... :whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Welcome to the forum H. Now you don't have to rely on Steve to communicate with us forumers. Great sprint at the end, I was within a whisker of taking you in the last 50 yards (at least I thought I was) but there was just nothing left in my legs. I have to admit I tried to give Potsy a push up the hill so he could get in front but Strewth! he was feckin heavy!!!

What's this, get at Colin day ? :thumbsup:
Every day is a get Colin day isn't it? :whistle:

I was on auto-pilot by then and only realised that it was you as you were passing. I tried to acknowledge you both but you must have missed it.
Yes but there was no need for the 2 finger salute because there was 2 of them in the car!

And I nearly forgot. A HUGE thanks to ColinJ for organising a superb ride. I have never enjoyed 100 miles so much in my life and the satisfaction of catching you all after the puncture drama and still having the energy for the finish line games was immense.

potsy

Rambler
Only ever nice things written about you on here, honest :whistle:

Next time....

ps- Love the avatar :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes but there was no need for the 2 finger salute because there was 2 of them in the car!
Actually, at first I did think it was just a random angry motorist flashing me because I didn't have a front light on *** and I was all set to make a less than polite gesture but then I realised who was driving! :smile:
And I nearly forgot. A HUGE thanks to ColinJ for organising a superb ride. I have never enjoyed 100 miles so much in my life and the satisfaction of catching you all after the puncture drama and still having the energy for the finish line games was immense.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've been suffering from lost cycling mojo but these forum rides are helping me to get it back - thank you all for coming along!

I've seen what last year did for the fitness of potsy and Steve H and I know that I respond very well to training - when I actually do it. So ... I'm looking forward to one day being able to stick with you guys on a forum ride like that and join in the race up the hill at the end!

*** I did have a front light with me but I have lost the thumbscrew that held it in so attaching it now involves bolting it in place. I thought about stopping to fit it but decided we would get back before it was really dark and so just pushed on.

potsy

Rambler
I think the fact that so many people not only turn out for Colin's rides, but also drive/cycle a fair way to get to them, and keep coming back, is a testament to the work and organisation he puts into them.
I know if it weren't for him and Fossy I would never have met so many lovely people, or had the confidence and motivation to do so many miles :thumbsup:

Here's the big man in action-
ride7 Colin.jpg

I think the fact that so many people not only turn out for Colin's rides, but also drive/cycle a fair way to get to them, and keep coming back, is a testament to the work and organisation he puts into them.
I know if it weren't for him and Fossy I would never have met so many lovely people, or had the confidence and motivation to do so many miles :thumbsup:

+1 Couldn't have put it any better :bravo:

Top Bottom