'Totally Wyred' - a flattish imperial century from Whalley on Sunday 1st April.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Waiting for ride leader for a 9.30am get off :rolleyes:
P1000890.jpg

That bike looks fast (later to be proven wrong)
P1000891.jpg

Littgull & Large
Litgull & Large.jpg

Lots of nice quiet if a little 'bumpy' roads
Quiet roads.jpg

potsy

Rambler
Cafe stop at Knott End-
Steve a bit peckish
Steve a bit hungry.jpg

All together-
All the gang.jpg

CC'ers in the sun
CCers in the sun.jpg

Healthy eating
Healthy eating.jpg

Not so healthy
Not so healthy.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
After such a long ride there was no way I could even begin to guess where you might be so I rode out from Whalley along your home route at 5 pm hoping to meet you but had to peel off at the De Tabley Arms just before Ribchester and head up the hill towards home. Looks like you all had a great day; the weather was perfect except for that cool breeze.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I did add black 'pudding' to my fry-up and also managed to sneak in a cherry scone. Don't worry Skud, I wasn't going to let a CC ride pass without cake.

I think Potsy has been foregoing the cakes recently because he was definitely looking quite spritely at the end of the ride!

Thew,i thought the standards had started to slip !

Thanks Col a nice little recovery ride that, and good meet a few new faces.

Looking forward to SITD and Ajays ride at the end of the month

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for coming along everyone! It was a good turnout - 13, including me.

I was quite exuberant on the outward leg in the sunshine on my revamped Cannondale which felt great. Once we got over the initial hills it was lovely to ride on flat roads for a change.

A few of the roads were busier than I like. The Fylde/Wyre districts are fairly compact and I'd had to contrive a meandering route to keep us there on the flatlands and not spend too much time in the hills beyond. I think I achieved a good compromise. One or two rough little roads, but I like to get off the beaten track.

I enjoyed sitting in the sunshine at the cafe again. I couldn't quite figure out why most of you chose to sit indoors though! Maybe not having 50 pounds of fat to insulate you from the breeze had something to do with it ...?

Just as on last year's ride, I started to get very uncomfortable on the return leg. I can bluff my way through 50-60 miles, but add another 40-50 to that and my bulk and lack of fitness really take their toll. For the last 30 miles I could hardly sit on the saddle, but didn't have the strength to stand. I rode back with Alun while everyone else was sent on. (No point in all of us getting back late!)

The only mechanical problems that I was aware of were suffered by wormo on the return leg. He had a blowout and a subsequent second puncture.

My navigation was not quite up to its normal high standard and I began to suspect what the reason was. Research today confirms the problem - the route I'd plotted produced a file containing well over 800 trackpoints. What I was unaware of was that my Garmin Etrex has a limit of 500 trackpoints per track. When I uploaded the file to it, it had discarded every other trackpoint. That meant that the trackpoints that I'd carefully placed on every junction had randomly disappeared from half of them! I had a rough idea of where to turn, but sometimes wasn't able to confirm the turns until I'd overshot them! It led to me taking a wrong turn on the run back to Longridge. Alun and I descended a hill but then I realised that we'd gone the wrong way. Fortunately, there was a road at the bottom of the hill taking us back towards the correct route. It added 2 miles to our ride so our total for the day was 103 miles.

I was very tired last night but the aches and pains in my legs, back and neck kept me awake until gone 04:30 am! I'm going to take a day or two to recover before doing another ride, but I really have to stop this big ride - nowt for weeks - big ride - nowt for weeks pattern of riding that I've got into - it hurts too much. I'm getting through these forum rides on willpower rather than fitness and it isn't sensible!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh - and I forgot to mention ... tubbycyclist is looking noticeably less tubby so he might soon have to rename himself to wastubbystillcyclist and potsy is maintaining his steady progress. 14 months ago he was grovelling on my forum rides, but now he can leave me for dead!

potsy

Rambler
I have a feeling I will be struggling going up that final hill from Whalley!

Well, how was it?
I think that's the first time I made it up there in the middle ring.

Good to meet more CC'ers (TotallyFixed,Wormo and Litgull) and one none CC'er (Helen) last years ride was my favourite forum ride so far, I think this years surpassed that.
Was flagging a bit at around the 70 mile mark and was quite happy plodding along with the fellow slow train'ers, once the 2 groups met up again after Wormo's flat I got a second wind and started to feel really good.
Enjoyed Tubby's burst up the hill with TF, though I don't think he ever recovered from that effort ^_^
Had some good little fast sections with TF and Skol and then it was time for the finale, a 'race' up the final drag against a hill climbing expert on a pink bike :girl:
As expected it was a closely fought contest :whistle: only the 6st weight disadvantage stopped me :mrpig:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have a feeling I will be struggling going up that final hill from Whalley!
Well, how was it?

I think that's the first time I made it up there in the middle ring.
I was very tired and uncomfortable by then. Alun went up the climb ahead of me just slightly faster than the speed I would have gone at so I made an effort to keep a constant distance from him and that got me up it quicker.

When I get tired, my back and core muscles let me down and I stop pedalling smoothly. I don't realise that I'm doing it but I start 'mashing' the pedals rather than spinning them and that makes my back hurt more. I caught myself doing it on that climb and concentrated on my pedal stroke and immediately accelerated so I'm obviously more efficient when I pedal properly.

wormo

Guru
First of all would like to thank Colin for organising the ride and designing a good course. Special thanks go to I Like Skol for sticking with me and helping me home, many thanks to all in the "fast group" as well as would have struggled to get home otherwise. Never been glad to see people as when we managed to rejoin up with everyone for the last hour, as I think it was fair to say we were feeling a little low before this. Seemed to give me a huge energy boost. At least I don't need to decorate I Like Skol's house and buy his Mrs some flowers as an apology for making him late.!! ^_^

Anyhow thanks to everyone for a great day and was a pleasure to ride with you all.

By the way front tyre had a nice bulge in it.

Looking forward to my next day out with you. (if welcome!!!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

By the way front tyre had a nice bulge in it.
It's a pity I didn't realise when the slow group caught up with you when you were fixing your puncture at the roadside - I had decided to carry a spare tyre for yesterday's ride in case one of us had a tyre problem!

Hang on - I think I am learning the ways of the forum - I mean a spare folding bicycle tyre, not the fat one I have round my waist! :thumbsup:

wormo

Guru
Don't worry, a good lesson for me. As always want to learn as much as possible about any activity I partake in. Learnt some good tyre changing tips yesterday. Oh Yes and LOOK AT YOUR TYRES BEFORE YOU EMBARK ON A 100 MILE BIKE RIDE. Numpty.

Top Bottom