Touch screen's in Cars Yes/No?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Unashamedly ripped from another forum

www.driven.co.nz/news/tesla-s-large-touchscreen-display-ruled-as-distracting-by-court/

Car designers could be sent back to the drawing board by a German court ruling that giant touchscreens in new cars
are a distracting device similar to mobile phones.

Manufacturers are replacing buttons with touchscreens, simplifying cabin design while meeting the expectations of buyers
accustomed to engaging with technology through a flat glass surface.

Mercedes is replacing many buttons with a huge screen in its next S-Class, Ferrari’s new Roma substitutes many conventional
controls with a touchscreen, and mainstream cars such as the next Volkswagen Golf are adopting near-buttonless cabins.

But Tesla was the first car maker to truly embrace the potential of touchscreens, particularly in the Model 3 sedan. The electric
car has a huge 15-inch display in the centre of the dashboard which serves as the car’s speedometer, stereo, climate control unit,
navigation screen, gaming console and much more.

You even use it to open the glovebox or control the speed of the car’s windscreen wipers.

Which is why a German driver blamed his Tesla for a crash in March which attracted international attention this week due to analysis
by a German legal blog.

A translated version of the article said the driver drove into an embankment and collided with a network node stationing sign and
several trees when they tried to change the speed of a Tesla’s windscreen wipers.

The Tesla has a physical switch on the indicator stalk to activate the windscreen wipers, but increasing or decreasing their speed
requires drivers to tap through options on its touchscreen.

The German court found that this process requires “significantly more attention from the driver” than when operating the windshield
wiper with the conventional fittings.

Fined €200 ($330) for using a distracted device while driving, the Tesla owner faced the same penalty as a driver caught checking their
Facebook feed while driving.

The case could put manufacturers on notice when designing next-generation cars expected to divert even more functionality to touchscreen
or voice-based controls.

It will be received warmly at Mazda, a brand that pulled touchscreens out of the latest Mazda3 and CX-30 hatchbacks, believing that they
are less safe than conventional buttons and dials.

A British study published in March found drivers interacting with popular smartphone mirroring services such as Apple CarPlay
or Android Auto were more impaired than people drinking alcohol or smoking cannabis.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No! They should be banned, it's a no-brainer.

Drago

Legendary Member
I must admit, I greatly dislike the touchscreen in Mrs Ds car for these reasons. Leaving aside the connectivity - pointless to me with no smart phone - the music, nav, and HVAC controlsmare far nicer and easier to use in my Volvo than in hers. IMHO, of course.

tyred

Legendary Member
I admit I've never driven a car with a touchscreen but I definitely think they would be distracting.

Last summer I travelled as a back seat passenger in pretty new Passat and I did find it concerning the amount of time the driver spent playing about with settings on the stereo and the climate control or whatever while travelling faster than I would have done on a winding road with blind corners.

When it comes to cars, I like simple. There is far too much rubbish in modern cars.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I prefer my button activated screen than MrsF's more modern touch screen. I don't like it. I can get more vehicle info quicker in a couple of presses of the multifunction buttons.

screenman

Legendary Member
My 5 year old Skoda has touch screen control for a few bits and bobs, I tend to use the steering wheel controls though.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I’m not a fan for the reasons already given. Presumably Tesla’s argument will be that it’s there for when they go driverless.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Don't blame the car. Blame the driver.

My car has touch screen stuff but it's up to me to bloody look where I'm going.

I think the Tesla also had stalk controls too but the driver didn't use those.
Pony to switch then on/off for speed control you have to use the screen according to the article I posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom