Touch screen's in Cars Yes/No?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Would some of you like to go back to 1966 cars, I certain would not a it was far to dangerous.

Yes and no. There has been much progress. Electronic ignition and fuel injection have improved reliability. Disc brakes have improved stopping ability. A better understanding of body construction means modern cars crash better and rust less. Better lubricants and sealed for life joints have reduced servicing requirements. Better suspension and tyre design has improved road holding (but it seems most of today's cars are set up with stiffer sports type suspension - I'm sure at least some people would like the soft riding option).

But personally, I could quite happily do without all the electronic gadgets and screens that modern cars have. I see them as an unnecessary distraction from the driving experience.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve used one for 5 years now (Mk 7 Golf) it’s quick, intuitive, and IMO safer than trying to find loads of tiny buttons like 25 years ago.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Our old Skoda had big friendly easy knobs for things like the heaters, the new one (60 plate so not actually new) has little teeny tiny ones in comparison. Much harder to operate by touch or in your peripheral vison.

As this is a cycling forum and we like to unnecessarily compare ourselves and our gear to 'the pros', here's an F1 steering wheel. Big, colourful buttons and switches, like a child's toy.

ferrari-2-inline.jpg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have one in my Skoda Superb and I'm really not a fan. Just way too distracting, I'm not an easily distracted driver either, (advanced driver training thrice in my life and an erstwhile LAS response driver) but some of the hoops you have to go through on that screen shouldn't be allowed while moving. Just far too complex compared with pushing a button, and always taking your eyes off the road for too long, I.e a second or two. But two seconds is all it takes at 70mph to close too fast on a stricken vehicle.
Ban them please. I avoid using mine, but I'm sure many use them extensively at all speeds, you can even read your texts and emails on them. That's scary.

Drago

Legendary Member
Would some of you like to go back to 1966 cars, I certain would not a it was far to dangerous.
A 1966 Rover P6 2000 TC? In a heartbeat!

My Volvo has a huge smattering of buttons. However, they're well laid out and designed to be easy to operate while wearing gloves, so despite the large number of buttons it is not at all onerous. Press one button among many, a single action with a single finger, or go through several levels of menus to do the same thing...the latter is hardly progress

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a P6B V8 for a while and loved it (although its prodigious thirstmsoon earned it the nickname "Ollie Reed") but sold it post divorce as I had no where to store it and couldn't afford to run 2 cars at the time. I'm not really a car person but I love the P6 - Spen Kings finest work bar none.
Aye they didn't have a carb, there was an Arab with a bucket under the bonnet. :laugh:

EDIT old mechanics joke from @76

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
https://www.whatcar.com/news/touchscreens-more-distracting-than-driving-drunk/n21400

Actually rather shocking how distracting touch screens are! People had slower reactions than when they're pissed!
I'm really not surprised, they're the new mobile phone for those that need communication and distraction on a constant drip feed. Communication pissed drivers are all we need.

Those of us that can switch off the outside world for the duration of a drive are fine, or at least up until the point a screen reader / prodder/ text reader rear ends us at crazy speed since they didn't observe the blocked lane 200 metres ahead that caused us all to brake gradually.

Morning,

Just more guff to distract you and charge you for...

Isn't the point that they are much cheaper to make, not just replacing individual control components which are often at least in part specific to a car maker if not a specific model but also final assembly and test when in the vehicle?

Making changes and creating the original design is also greatly simplified as there is very little bespoke work to get signed off and into production. Company A makes the dash board, B the lights, C the rotating switches, D the knobs for those switches, E the electronics for... on and on.

This also reduces the need for stock of many parts for both current and previous models and there is an industry making millions of touch screens for all sorts of uses. And these tablets are pretty much interchangeable between supplier and model.

The also look good.

Whether they are good or bad as the control mechanism was never really the point and a while back reviews criticised touch screens for the reason that they were hard to use. But as other makers realised the cost savings on offer they all joined in the reviewers stopped complaining as it appeared to make them out of touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom